Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G5 2x2GHz PSU replacement

Default G5 2x2GHz PSU replacement

I'm about to try and resurrect my dead G5. It's an '04 2x2GHz machine.

I have another PSU, I hope it's the right one! It is an AcBel API2FS34, Apple P/N:614-0271, a 600W unit. It looks right, but until I remove the cover plate on the dead one I can't be absolutely sure. The cover plate on the replacement PSU is lacking the standoffs for the CPU cover plate, so I rather assume that it has come out of single CPU machine. And I can't remove the PSU cover plate in the G5 until I have removed the CPU's!

I am waiting for delivery of a long-bladed 2.5 mm hex driver to loosen the screws holding the CPU's to the motherboard.

So, while I cool my heels, I figured I'd just ask here to see if anybody has any words of wisdom before I pull the CPU's out.

To remove the PSU, I will have to remove both sets of CPU fans and probably both CPU's. Removing just the lower CPU would provide enough room to get the PSU out/in, but I suspect that I'll have to remove the upper CPU in order to disconnect the rear CPU fans for removal because the connector is up top of that space. I'll have to see!
    Last edited by biggles; 09-10-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Typo
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Yous will have to remove everything, pretty much.

The fans come out easy. The fan wires are the most dificult only in that they run up next to the board and you have to remember to reroute it when putting back.

I made my own screwdriver - welded a 2 MM to the end of a long philips.

Both CPUs must come out.

Power supply has to slide forward and then rotate the outside edge upwards - outside edge then comes out first so you clear the lugs. It is a goes in and out only one way kind of thing. There are wires coming out of the power supply that you want to be careful with and take your time arranging as you do this.

Any questions ask away. By memory I remember most of it, but a few moments looking inside one of these and I will remember the details.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick.

It all sounds pretty straight forward.

The screws which hold the CPU's to the m/b, I'm thinking that they stay captive on their brackets once turned free of the standoffs on the m/b?

Nope - and they can be a delight when/if you drop one. I dropped a screw for one of the power lugs and had to totally disassemble a G5 once. They are not very pure stainless, so you can grab em with a magnetic tip screwdriver, but getting them in place is interesting if they don't stick to your screwdriver well.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ah! Thanks for the heads-up!

See! I knew it was a good idea to ask here!

One other thing - mark your CPUs so you put em back where they came from. The temp sensors are adjusted to fit location, moving them may cause an issue.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Good to see you post.

How has it been across the pond. Still flying. Take Care, Randy

And notice how snug the CPU screws are. You just snug them up, don't crank them done like you are changing a tire.

If/when you are done and fire the rig up, you might have to do a thermal recalibration. Likely not, but maybe.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi Randy! Still flying here.

And Unc! Fingers crossed for "Likely not....".

Fingers also crossed that it is the only the PSU which got damaged!

So, while I twiddle my thumbs waiting for the wrench to arrive, I get to thinking about what I'm going to use the G5 for when/if I get it back up and running

My original idea was to simply have it kicking around as a headless jbod for backup and storage. I have Timbuktu.

My main use for a computer aside from internet use is to run Pro Tools for recording. The G5, while powerful enough for my needs, is now obsolete, stuck in Leopard with PTLE 7, and compared to the Mini is way too noisy!

Problems with the Mini are; no optical drive, single HDD.... Yup, that's all I can think of.

I have a 500GB drive in the Mini, FW to a 1TB external which is split 50/50 between TimeMachine backup and Pro Tools media.

I had planned on using the G5 with its 2x1TB drives to backup the active Pro Tools media volume and to archive that volume when it gets too full.

With the G5 in TDM, I'll have access to it's optical drive as well as the HDD's. Having never started the G5 in TDM I don't know how noisy it is in TDM. I rather assume that all fans will be running? And in that case I'd have to manually start it in TDM before backing up the Pro Tools media volume.

With the G5 booted in Leopard and wired through my ethernet switch, it could be used for automatic backup of both Mini's internal and external volumes, and simply sleep between times. In which case, I could dispense with TimeMachine.

I caught the news about CCC being no longer free; coincidentally my Synchronize! Pro X licence just expired. And I just downloaded SuperDuper, although I haven't had time to explore it yet. Is it able to wake a sleeping computer?

Other thoughts; install new battery, deep clean the inside of the G5 while it's all torn apart.

That cleaning part.... I picked up a can of stuff at PC World called Air Duster. All sorts of hazard warnings on the can! It's not simply compressed air! It has little icons for Keyboard, Printer, and Photocopier, but not for Computer! Is this something I should not be using inside the G5? I suspect the hazard is the flammable propellant.

I don't possess an air compressor, nor have access to one.

Ho hums... Twiddle thumbs...

You can run an old SyncPro license forever for a machine stuck on an older OS. No need to update it. Problem happens when you download and install the new version of SyncPro, then you no longer have a license unless you pay for it. However you can step it back to the old version and just leve it. You may be able to do that since you are running Time Machine.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Indeed! But I wanted to run it from the new Mac mini! I guess I could keep running the old one on the G5 and let IT do the backup. That would dictate that I use the G5 all booted up, not in TDM.

It's not a big deal.

And the previous versions of CCC are still free, just not the latest and greatest for 10.8.

G5 is not too loud in TDM. I would guess they run at about 20%, just a little more than a normal idle.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I finally tracked down the Service Manual!

The CPU's are held to the motherboard with 2.5 mm hex screws on this June 2004 dual 2.0.

From the Service Manual: "...3. If the processor mounting screws have a hex head, loosen the four screws but do not remove them from their standoffs."

Not sure how that would work - from the ones I have done they would have to be removed to get the heatsink - cpu and all, off the motherboard. Interesting. Done this process with a number of different model G5s, they were virtually the same that way. Wonder what is different about your model?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I'll report back!

The G5 lives again!

I have it running headless via TB2 as I type this.

It only offers 4 display resolutions and 1680x1050 is the biggest, so I can't get full-screen on my 23" ACD, but hey! It's just a bunch of drives now! Hehe!

I'll describe the process of changing the psu later.

The good news is that not only does the G5 live again, but it appears to need no thermal calibration after having the CPU's removed and installed. I suppose that it shouldn't anyway, provided I followed the good advice and marked them so that I'd put them back in the same place!

Cheers chaps!

Dave.

Thumbs up Sweet

Nice work Dave.

Aww shucks! TY Rande!

Thumbs up

Good to hear. Glad it worked out.

Since it is headless and on the network, if you are still looking for backup software that will work on everything (10.5 to 10.8, and other platforms, across the network....and is free....CrashPlan. Not bootable, but great for data protection. Automatic with email notification if it stops working.