Thread: I messed up, Need Some Help with 15" 2008 Early MBP

Default I messed up, Need Some Help with 15" 2008 Early MBP

Hey everyone!! For my first post im going to admit I made a mistake while replacing a CD drive with an HD adapter off of Amazon. Im a Tech so im not exactly a noob when it comes to tearing down laptops and upgrading them but i definitely made a noob mistake. Here goes. While multi-tasking i was replacing the top portion of the laptop which contains Keyboard, touchpad, power button , etc and i didn't notice i was putting it on backwards. So as soon as i plugged it in, the ribbon cable got warm so i knew i made a mistake. Now the laptop will not boot of course.

My question is , has anyone had any experience with this and if so is there a resistor i can replace on the board some where? Also, i cant get an exact model number because i can not find the serial number anywhere (It seems it may have been peeled). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model is 15" Early Macbook Pro 2008

Wish I had some advice that was useful. I passed over answering since I don't have a clue what component might have died. There are some Mac techs hanging around here that work enough inside MBPs that they might have some thoughts, but I doubt that anyone would have seen that specific set of circumstances.

You might be best advised to do a trade for a repaired board. There are a number of places that do that, swap you a board for a couple hundred bucks. We have done repairs on test machines here using that method (we can be really hard on machines that test, for instance CPU upgrades - although it's been a while since we did that! I age myself) Even hardware RAID cards and alpha testing strange contraptions is hard on motherboards. We have had our share of mishaps. I usually can find a rebuilt board to swap in.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the reply Rick. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction on where i can swap out the board? A couple of hundred dollars sounds a lot better than $400, lol. Right now im working on testing to see if i can boot the Mac without using the top portion (keyboard,power button, etc..) just to make sure that its the logic board that is in fact cooked instead of the top portion. Someone pointed me to ifixit for a possible spot to use a jumper to get the mac booted up possibly.

I have to eat my price words. From what I can see MBP boards start at $400ish. One place we used to get boards was GalaxyHP. Never bought one for a laptop.... price shock.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin