Thread: Macbook Pro fan! :-(

Default Macbook Pro fan! :-(

Strange one here... Macbook Pro, 13" 2009, 5,5 fan kicks in at 6200rpm on boot up and one slow down.
    All temperatures are reading normal so it's not a wacky sensor triggering it even when it's stone cold.
    I don't have a fan to swap out at the moment, so that's the next step.
    I've already zapped PRAM and reset the SMC, including removing internal battery to make sure. Any ideas?
    I'd hate to have to replace a logic board for this, so I'm hoping that there's something I'm missing, or that a new fan will do the trick.

Run fan control software on it? There are several available.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

All of the software controls, like SMCFanControl, for example, only allow you to speed fans up, i've not come across one that can slow the fans down. I've installed iStat and Temp Monitor and they confirm that the temperatures are normal and not in need of fan operation. I keep SMC on my MBP to help it from overheating, but I still have to use an AKASA cooling pad to keep it usable.
    Do you know of anything else that can permit wider control over the fans?

Any chance the OS is wacked? Try a safe boot, and boot to a different HD/system to see if it is consistent. Just to rule it out.

iMacs as of about late 2009 have a temp sensor in their HD firmware. Don't think MBPs do....but fans kick up with a new HD that does not have the built-in sensor—after a HD swap to a non-OEM HD. Know folks that have used this with success: HD Fan Control.

Just bumped into this, which looks similar.

Either might be useful, but only if the sensor in the HD is the issue.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi, Unc. No chance at all it's software related. The fan kicks in the moment the power button is pressed. Doesn't matter whether it's got a drive installed or not, it still does it.

Just downloaded and installed SSD Fan Control. Interesting.
    I put it into my MBP first as I'm running it off a Samsung 830 SSD, with a 1tb in the optical drive bay. My MBP gets ridiculously hot very quickly - processor related but as I'll be changing the logic board soon I've not bothered to strip it down and try regreasing the processors yet - so the fans run full belt most of the time and I have to use a cooling pad.
    I kicked in the new software and was able to throttle the fans down easily enough, so thanks for that.
    I then installed it into the problem mac and was able to drop the fan back to 1500rpm, so that's done the trick nicely. I manually increased the speed to 1800rpm to give it a bit of leeway and then found that it's not possible to take it back down again!
    Weird. No doubt there'll be a fix for this somewhere along the line, but for now, the fan is back under control.

SSD Fan Control installed in the problem mac, explained to the customer what had happened, what I'd done about it and why... customer very happy.
    So thanks for the research and the solution, much appreciated.

Would be interesting to know where the issue is. If the box is hot, then maybe not a fan problem? What is cranking along.......you mentioned CPU.....what is it doing?

I have a 15" MBP for at a new job with Symantec AV on it (required), and, well, it sucks. Eats RAM and CPU (sometimes CPU spikes at 60%, doing nothing.....), which means battery life is terrible, and the thing is twice as hot as it should be. All the time.

Could you have some process or service running? If not, then yeah, must be down to hardware, sensors, etc.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi Unc. There is absolutely no doubt that it's a sensor/firmware problem. as I said earlier, it does it on boot up with no drive installed in an otherwise stock machine. It also does it with 10.6 and 10.8 installed and the fan won't shut down or ease off.
    Had to be hardware, but it's not sensor related either because they all read normal. CPU usage is 10-15% on the system and nothing else showing above zero, so it's definitely not that that's kicking it in. It could be a faulty fan, but then it works fine with SSD Fan Control running, so it's not that it's only capable of running at 6200rpm.
    Don't know and I'm not going to find out either. When I showed the customer what the problem was and what to do in the unlikely event that the Mac gets too hot, put it on auto until it cools down, he was happy enough. I told him that the other most likely result would be a replacement logic board and he really didn't want to know about that!

Thumbs up

Check.

Glad it worked out, hope the fix holds. Nice to see those tools might help beyond the HD/SSD no-temp-sensor-in-the-firmware issue. A nice surprise!