Thread: No target mode

Default No target mode

I have a G4 dual 1ghz machine that will not go into Target mode. I release the "T" key right after the chime and it goes into regular mode..... If I hold down the "T" key waiting to see the Target mode screen, it shuts off ! ..... any clues ?

Default Try...

Hold the "T" Key before chime ... as soon as you hit restart.

I always thought you help the T key down, push on button , wait for chime and release...... that is not correct ?

I've always hit power, held T key until I get the TDM Screen... Here's Apple's info
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661?v...S&locale=en_US

that's exactly what I am doing.... but it shuts off before reaching the Target screen..... I even checked to see if it was Firmware password protected !!!!

It won't let me zap the PRAM either......swapped out keyboard and used new firewire cable

Quote Originally Posted by briardguy View Post
    I have a G4 dual 1ghz machine that will not go into Target mode. I release the "T" key right after the chime and it goes into regular mode..... If I hold down the "T" key waiting to see the Target mode screen, it shuts off ! ..... any clues ?
    Old PPC4 G4, is it a Quicksilver? What's the HD setup? All HD on PCI cards, any HD on the system buses?

If I remember correctly with these old PPC macs, Firewire Target Disc mode only works on certain internal HDs on the IDE/ATA buses. It may be that only the master on the main bus will show up. Maybe more HDs with the later G4s.

Have you tried a different keyboard? I've had all sorts of problems with keyboards over the years in spite of them appearing to be okay during normal usage.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Also it won't work if you have your keyboard plugged in through a USB hub. Probably won't work if you have a NON Apple wireless keyboard. Not sure about the Apple branded wireless keyboard
    Damien,

The apple bluetooth will work fine... as long as it's switched on
    Good point on the hub.

And yes, only OEM buses work with TDM. So forget about any PCI SCCI, ATA or SATA controllers.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin