Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mac Pro (Early 2008) Powers Up for Two Seconds Only

A button battery, most likely a 2032 - it will say on the front of it.
    Yes, it does sound like that could be the problem, but it could also be a logic board problem. It's unlikely to be the power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozocity View Post
    The affected computer is not a G5. It's Intel, an Early 2008 MacPro. Same basic plan? Is there a power management reset button on the motherboard?
    DOH! Got my threads crossed up I guess. I see you are in good hands.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Progress, but Still Broken

With its new backup battery, the computer is part way towards fixed. After shutting down, it will now start again, but:

(1) The power button must be pressed three to six times, and

(2) It will no longer connect to the internet over airport, and is not impressed when I correctly type the network's password. It keeps asking for the admin's keychain password, but is unimpressed when I type that! Maybe it was changed, and no longer matches the Admin password?

The power button maybe faulty... does it light up when you press it the first 5 times, or do nothing?
    As for the airport issue, that's dead simple to troubleshoot:
    Set up a new user with admin privileges and try it in there. It sounds to me as though things are rather twisted in your account.
    If you have a problem in the new user then you've got a system problem, so look to reinstalling or upgrading the OS.

Default Progress and Trouble: Self-Assigned TCP/IP over Ethernet, Too

The power button now works consistently, or maybe always did. Funny how His Steveness and Jonathan Ives would have concocted a power button that looks gorgeous, but has essentially no tactical feedback. It is flush with the case and about as smooth. Upon pressing it, if one's finger overlaps the case, the button does not depress because the case blocks the finger's movement. So, beats me. It works now, so long as I'm careful. But...

I created a new user account, which also self-assigns a TCP/IP address, and so will not connect over WiFi. Worse, my primary account will not connect over Ethernet! Same problem; it self-assigns the TCP/IP address. Occurs to me just now that I did not try Ethernet with the new user account, but still, this sounds like... trouble.

Are there any fixes short of reinstalling? I confess that I used to run TechTool religiously, but never bought the Intel version. Should I, or maybe Drive X? What's the hip fix-it program these days? I have DiskWarrior. I'll try that.

In case it's related (which I doubt): My Guru Certified aftermarket RAM, two 2GB sticks, had ceased being recognized. I pulled the RAM, reinstalled it, and it now works fine, but the network is still florfed.