Thread: Problem booting - Dies out after apple screen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Problem booting - Dies out after apple screen

Hi guys. Computer tries to boot maindrive (Leopard). I get apple startup, then normal blue screen just before login window, but then turns dark purple/black and sounds like powering down. Here's what started it all:

First I am still PPC dual G5 running 10.5.8 on main drive but also have 2nd internal drive running Tiger. Some apps I launch located on Tiger drive when booted in Leopard drive, no problems. Prefs are also on Leopard drive, just not the app.

I installed larger drive to replace Tiger one and moved old Tiger to Burly for backup. I then cloned old tiger inBurly to the newly-formatted internal larger drive using SuperDuper. All seemed OK until (while in Leopard) I launched an app from the new internal Tiger drive today. It hung and I had to force quit. Tried again with another app to test. Same thing but this time it hung the Mac. I had to hold power button to shut down, and from that point on, the Leopard drive won't finish booting.

Did SuperDuper not truly clone? Or what could have happened here? I have now booted from this new Tiger and am running TechToolPro on the Leopard.

I got it working. I also can now launch apps located on the other drive. Have experienced a couple times when launching from an app's "recent documents" menu that it does sync up because I didn't change the name of the drive or partitions, but on a couple I got the beach ball then the app quit. But when I located the document manually to open from within the app, it was fine.

Which is similar to the crazy behavior before. I wonder if it's a clone thing?? Would it have been better to install the system fresh on the new drive and then used migration assistant to bring over the rest of the stuff -- instead of cloning the old drive onto the new one like I did and now using the new one? I just wonder if the clone (which is in place of the old internal drive) is really stable. ?

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Typically cloning works great on the same hardware, switching out HDs like you did. SD is one of several great tools, so unlikely that is the issue either.

FYI: There are things call Byhost preferences that will not come across in cloned images.....by design. Just a handful of preferences, so nothing that should cause any hangs or issues, just preferences that don't "stick" when moving a clone from one Mac to another.

Is the "new" HD really new? Any chance there is something fishy with the HD?

You can reinstall 10.5.8 Combination Updater, which will fix/replace any part of the OS that is missing/damaged. Totally safe, won't eat data or applications. Just download the Combo version, and run it.

If that does not solve the issue, then it is not an OS issue. Could look at basic troubleshooting, including repairing permissions & checking user permissions, deleting caches, creating/testing a new test user account, etc.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks unclemac. Yes, it is new... I had bought it a while ago but hadn't used it yet. Was deciding whether it would be a backup or an internal drive for more space.

I did run TTP and rebuilt directory, repaired permissions, and ran the combo update on the Leopard drive. Everything seems to be better now. Computer seems more responsive too. Just now I launched iTunes (its library is located on the [new] Tiger drive) and all was well there.

This whole episode has prompted a couple more questions though. A friend of mine has a developer friend who had always said that Tiger is a better choice for a G5 and that Leopard can become a little flaky over time as it wasn't the OS really intended for a G5. However Leopard was widespread in use for people, so I wondered if you had ever heard that or if there is any truth to it.

Second thing: before this rebuilding, I was getting the beach ball more often (Leopard is my main drive). Somewhere along the line, I also lost the name of the drive in the mount point. When selecting the drive, the top of the window changed from /Leopard to just /. I made a new test user account and the name of the drive is there properly. When booted in Tiger, if I select the Leopard drive, it does say /Leopard there too. I don't know if this is showing an underlying issue, but it bugs me a little

So the question: if things get flaky to where rebuilding, etc. don't help, short of reinitializing and reinstalling everything fresh, is it better to do an archive and install or is there a way to make a new user account the main one (bring everything over to a new user account)? A long time ago I only had to do one archive and install, and don't remember if I had to bring stuff from the old system (prefs and such) or now. But if that is corrupted, you really don't want to bring it over. My apps consist of all these authorizations and serials, iLoks, etc. so I'd have to redo all that.