Thread: Incompatable Memory?

Confused Incompatable Memory?

Had to replace the power supply in my power mac g5 (2.3 dual processor early 2005). After replacement of the power supply, on power up there is no start up tone ant I get three blinks of the power LED, indicating incompatable memory. No changes were made other than the power supply swap. I've checked all components and connections and don't see anything out of place. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem might be, or things to try?

First thing is to run an Open Firmware reset and a PRAM reset. This will force the computer to rebuild the device stacks.

On startup hold the Command+Option+O+F keys. Release when it tells you to. At the '<' cursor type:

reset-nvram
    Hit Return (it will say ok if you typed it right)
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all
    Hit Return and the computer will restart. During the restart hold the Command+Option+P+R keys. Hopefully, while holding those keys, they computer will restart again and chime this time.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

.....And you can try pulling all the RAM, pushing the power button (and getting the appropriate beeps). Then power down, pull the power cable, and reinstall RAM. Power up and see what you get.

Some G5s were notoriously picky about RAM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Confused

First of all, thank you Ricks and Unclemac for your help.
    Tried both of your suggestions with no luck.
    Start-up with Command+Option+O+F, still get three LED flashes and no screen.
    With ram out get one LED flash, ram back in three flashes and no screen.
    No tones at all.
    Any other ideas?

Sounds like a bad power supply. Last time I bought one for a G5 the replacement didn't work and had to get a replacement for it as well.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Sounds reasonable.

Over the years, I have seen a few bad PSes that seemed to kill logic boards.....under/over supply to the LB I would assume.

Hopefully that is not the case!

Have also seen a few G5s die for no apparent reason, though typically not with a 3 beep symptom. Usually, lots of panics, high fans, or won't boot. CPU and/or LB failure.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I would suggest to check the drive at some other machine. Hope it is OK.

As the rock,s solution did't work so, there might be problem with hard drive.