Thread: Missing mail folder content

Default Missing mail folder content

Hello.

iMac Intel, OS 10.6.8. Mail 4.5.

I keep several Mail accounts on the go, have done for years without any problem.

When an incoming message looks as if it should be kept, I drag it to a folder called "Keeping", and every few months I go through the folder and chuck most of it away.

Recently, the folder has taken it upon itself to chuck away dozens of emails, only leaving me with 20 or so from the past month.

As far as I can see, there isn't any Preference for clearing out folders after a certain point has been reached, so any ideas how or why?

Also, I run a weekly back-up (using a prog called SuperDuper) to an external hard drive. Should I be able to retrieve my missing messages from there, and if so, where should I look? The only mail I can see has been reduced to names of 6 digits plus emix, i.e. 888999.emix.

Any help welcomed.

Allen.

First thing to do would run the rebuild tool to be sure it is not a problem with the Mail database. Look under Mailbox for "Rebuild".

If that's not it....there must be something else to explain why they are gone. Preferences, scripts, something.

Yes, if your backup has them (the right date, the right data) you should be able to drag out the mbox files, and add (import) them into Mail.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello Uncle.

Rebuild, no good. Tried rebuilding each individual mailbox in turn, whenever 'rebuild' was available.

Got to be something - yes, agreed!

Yes, they are all in the back-up, under Library, and they can all be opened there and probably (I'll try in a minute) imported back. Curiously, they're not in my main hard drive Library. No-one else has access to the iMac except me.

Thanks be that I'm nerd enough to do a weekly back-up.

A.

(Couldn't edit, so here update).

I dragged the mail messages from their location in the Back Up folder, back into the proper place in Mail/messages on my hard drive, then I rebuilt that particular folder. And there they all are again.

Odd, but at least we've now got a way of retrieving messages if they do disappear again.

A.