Thread: 2006 macpro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2006 macpro

I have a macpro 1.1 2.66 Ghz, with 16 gigs ram, ati 5770, 250g 500gig hd and a 125 ssd

I just bought a 2.3 macbook pro and dropped in 16 gig ram and a Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Hard Disk Drive 750 gig 7200 rpm that has a 8 gig sad

It makes my macpro look real slow even when I run on the sad, that being the situation, how can I speed up my macro?

Thanks Gary

The biggest question is what part of the computer is slow?

SSDs do a lot less to speed up a computer than you would think. If what is stored on the SSD is the operating system and applications, then it boots faster, then it pretty much doesn't do much.

Where the new MBP beats up on the MacPro is CPU performance. Newer architecture runs in 64 bit kernel, has a lot more efficient CPUs, uses RAM better.

Where the MacPro will excel over the MBP is in data IO. With multiple hard drive slots and PCIe slots to add buses, the MacPro can move a lot more data than the MBP can - but has to be configured to utilize those multiple ports and slots to gain that advantage.

Leads to the question: what types of processes are you doing that the MacPro is slower than the MBP? Photos? Video? Processing? Everything? (have to define everything though)
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the response mate, I use photoshop, after effects. premiere pro, playback pro and asst'd video LED wall systems.

The old girl is like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare in comparison, it starts from opening to rendering.
    Yep all the apps are on the ssd! Do you think changing the cpu will turn her into road runner, you know, beep beep or do you think she needs a major overhaul?

Next should look at the photo data storage. How old is the drive(s) - you might list model number for the drives. And how full are they.

This surely sounds like the problem is accessing your data more than processing it. MacPros always have, from Apple, a problem with getting the data to RAM fast enough. It takes work to set it up so data access IO is efficient and speedy. Doesn't matter how fast the processors are if the drives can't feed them fast enough. Slow data access = idle time on the processors.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hey, good morning, looks like another hot and steamy one.

I keep all pics, vids and music on separate drives,

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Model: Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD
    Revision: 311ABBF0
    WDC WD2500JS-41SGB0:

Capacity: 250.06 GB (250,059,350,016 bytes)
    Model: WDC WD2500JS-41SGB0
    ST3500641AS P:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
    Model: ST3500641AS P

Then external drives

FreeAgent GoFlex:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,885,504 bytes)
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: Yes
    BSD Name: disk4
    Product ID: 0x5021
    Vendor ID: 0x0bc2 (Seagate LLC)
    FreeAgent Go :

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,860,992 bytes)
    BSD Name: disk3
    Product ID: 0x2101
    Vendor ID: 0x0bc2 (Seagat

FANTOM DRIVE :

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)
    BSD Name: disk6
    Product ID: 0x1340
    Vendor ID: 0x13fd (Initio Corporation)
    Version: 2.10

So, what do ya think doc?

Gary

There's a lot of people out there who are going through hard times, and they feel alone. They feel like nobody is there. So, let's make sure there is money to pay us (july 2012) and take this vacation on the road, and let the people work it out for themselves

Rep.John Ima Boner

This is going to be brutal, facts speak. Please don't take it personally, because the goal is to point out where the slow downs are.

A couple of those drives are REALLY going to be slow, just by their age. The Western Digital is pretty ancient stuff. Just knowing how old the drive is makes me feel old. Even if mostly empty it will be under 45 MB/sec if I remember right.

The Seagate ST3500641AS is Seagate's first model of SATA drive. The way they built that was based on what was at the time their current ATA drive with a Marvell SATA converter chip soldered onto its control board. It is going to be a 50-55 MB/sec drive empty.

If those drives are over half full they are going to be 1/3 to 1/2 slower even than that and are going to eat your computer performance. Frankly they are a big chunk of your problem. Major improvement to replace them with current model drives.

Now the externals. The drives in them are probably pretty decent performance wise if they are fairly recent - although no way for me to know without knowing date of manufacture and what bridge is in the enclosures. Big question is what bus are they using to connect to your MacPro? If USB2.0, then you are getting at best 30MB/sec through a USB2.0 bus. If Firewire it will be a little better.

I think the first thing you should do is list how full the drives are. Just a percentage is good. (Or stating something like 500GB drive, 340 GB on it) Keep it simple.

Second is put a number to how fast each drive is. Use AJA Speed Test. Simple and free and will give a reasonably accurate number on how much data can flow into and out of each drive. Set Speed Test to 2 GB transfer, ignore frame size, select each drive and get a read + write number for it..

Today's Seagate 7200.14 Barracuda is good for 180 MB/sec when empty. My guess is you are 'enjoying' closer to 20 to 40 MB/sec on most of your data accesses. Your MacPro is idling along waiting for data most of the time.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin