Thread: just bought and installed ML

Thumbs down just bought and installed ML

gotta say I'm not lovin' it......what's it doing for me that SL didn't do? Thank God I installed it over a copy of SL that is a backup!
    Tom Babb

We have a new MBP coming with ML on it. Arrive tomorrow for some testing I have to do. We'll be seeing what ML looks like. I never liked Lion over SL. I am only one in the entire office that will run Lion (only then, because someone has to do it).

I'll do a reeeview next week sometime.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by babbkutz View Post
    gotta say I'm not lovin' it......what's it doing for me that SL didn't do?
    iCloud.

Seriously that's why I upgraded to Lion for shared contacts and calendars across 3 computers and 3 iPhones. It actually works.

So far it appears that most device drivers treat Lion and Mountain Lion the same. At this point I haven't found one that does work in one but not the other. Most of the base system must be identical. One more reason not to bother with ML since we don't use iCloud and probably never will.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I find I like Notification Center in ML and I never thought I would care about that much.

I also like the speech recognition

Mail and Messages (iChat replacement) have a couple tiny new behaviors I don't care for.

I do use iCloud and I am liking it a lot more than I ever expected to

Though this is not new to ML, did you know you can use Reader in Safari to avoid the 'you must create an account' screen at a lot of news sites… very handy
    Damien,

I like some of the minor improvements to the Finder. New progress bars on folders and icons for transfers, and more info when you trie to copy an item where there is a duplicate. Also like that it is not so easy to (erroneously) drag items off the dock. Nothing earth shattering, but nice.

Don't like that the Finder sidebar is still monochromatic, and less flexible than in 10.6 and back....but no big change (better or worse) than 10.7.

I do like the sequential improvement...that it is not a new OS, just a refinement of 10.7. Either it is a great deal for a an upgrade, or an expensive "service pack" at $20. For those of us supporting lots of machines, it is nice that 10.8 is not a new requirement, just an option.

I like the new pricing model, and the options we have.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I have not yet tried the new ML. I don't see much I'd really need but yes I get it in time.

I grew up right down the street from the Woz. I guess there was something in the water. His opinion on the Cloud is identical to mine own. Worth the read, such as it is. Like some more in depth stuff.

Wozniak and the Cloud

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    iCloud.

Seriously that's why I upgraded to Lion for shared contacts and calendars across 3 computers and 3 iPhones. It actually works.
    iCloud was the reason for me too. That was the only feature that pushed me to move to Mac Lion. Although I haven't experienced but learned that in MT its very very advanced and easy to use.

The problem Ricks is that you are just getting too old. If you were young and hip you would need an iPhone, and an iPad. Things like Facebook and ( oh gosh I'm forgetting) a Twitter account.

Your out cutting hay, away from your town of a population of 3141. I mean man do you even have a Facebook account. I didn't think so and neither do I. But I will tell you that as a work tool the iPhone is great. I set appointments for my living and I just love having them all syncing. It's taken a long time to develop a trust for the thing because it has caused some problems in the old dotmac account set up.

Plus, by the way, I just got back from taking some time off and stupid me forgot the camera. Takes way better pictures that an iPhone 4. 4S is the way to go. So I take those pictures and where's my backup? Everything syncs, it's on the computer waiting for me to adjust any photos or the phone can do it if you are young and can see. Then I can take the iPad to the 94 year old Mother and show her the pictures. Where she will say "Oh did you go on a trip?" even though I have called her while away.

Heck you could be out there running that combine and sending shots and posting them on the site and we would know what was what. Ok Maybe you don't need iCloud, but it comes with L & ML.

BTY Woz is old too. The paradigm shift has occurred just ask them on Twitter. I guess I'd better get a Facebook account and up grade to ML.

By the way I'm back and I'm old too
    Last edited by yeungfeng; 08-11-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: spelling of course

Ha!

Don't know about TOO old, but I definitely spent too much time with a computer in front of me. This from my Facebook account
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default yeungfeng and Rick...

Two good posts. lmao I'm afraid if my fingers worked well enough I'd have an iPad and iPhone too.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Rick… That pic looks depressingly like Indiana
    Damien,

Wow what a conundrum, drives a combine but has a Facebook account. Though I do think the combination would qualify as hip. Hope it's not hot up there, or that the combine has AC.

AC throws ice cubes.

owner of the farm is pretty hip 25 year old. He uses an iphone for everything. Me, I like the break from the computer. Listening to right wing talk radidio and driving around at 2 MPH in a circle is quite pleasant break.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Listening to right wing talk radidio and driving around at 2 MPH in a circle is quite pleasant break.
    Ahh......that's where the crazy paranoia comes from.

Right wing radio makes me walk around at 2MPH in circles.....muttering bad things.

-----

Good lookin' rig by the way. Could use some 32" spinners on it though......kinda like this:

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

So if you're wanting to have some balance with that radio you might try going in circles to the left

My head would fall off

I'll have to admit, what I love to listen to is Lars Larson. Pretty innocuous stuff.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin