Thread: Slowwwwwwww internet

Default Slowwwwwwww internet

I have a 1.25 ghz mac mini with 1.5 gig of ram running OSX 10.5. Nothing in our Internet set up at home has changed and all the Mac's in the house are accessing the internet just fine..... but mine is slowwwwwww.

i.e. It takes 20-30 seconds to open a new page and/or refresh...... what is going on ?

My Mac Mini is normally a very quiet machine but now while it's trying to crunch internet data , it sounds like it's laboring ( I'm sure it's just the fan sounding louder due to my frustration but had to mention it). .....for whatever reason, whenever using the internet, the fan never shuts off !!!

It doesn't matter if I use Safari or Firefox- it's the same...... I've cleared out the history and empty the cache as I always do but nothing ...still slow......

I've even swapped Airport cards and even plugged directly into th modem....

What can be done if anything ?

Could be a Java or Flash problem. Flash in particular can use loads of CPU, which will crank up the fans as the CPU heat increases.

Might try testing:

- Different browser
    - Update/reinstall Flash
    - Log in to a different user (make a new test OS user account) and see if it behaves the same or different.
    - Install Click to Flash to limit Flash ads from loading automatically

One challenge is that Flash is not being updated for PPC Macs, so hard to run the later versions, which are more stable, and seem less power hungry. There is a hack out there that allows running a later version than what Adobe has released. Ran it on one machine, with no apparent problems.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Oh, click to flash, I like it very much and for Leopard it's good for keeping out the evil genies that attack via Flash.

Yes, I do support uncleMac that flash eats too much of memory and slows down the net speed.

I would also suggest to check the system speed and see if only the internet or other applications are also running slow.