Thread: 'Activity' where all should be quiet...

Default 'Activity' where all should be quiet...

Hello again.

We solved the router/wireless problem a month or two back, and I think this might be a continuation of that.

When I boot up, after the booting, there is a constant 'activity' noise from the iMac, as if it's reading/writing something.

Plus, my browser is slow and sticky.

Well, I turned off the wireless (on Network), and turned the Ethernet back on, and all is a bit quieter, in fact ten minutes in, it's 'normal', i.e. no extraneous noises.

Is this old-age paranoia? Or do you sometimes get these noises when on Wireless? And does the Activity Monitor give any clues - I had a look, but recognised none of the listed items!

Ta.

Allen.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

what were the names of the items that were using the most CPU %?
    Damien,

Hello Damien.

I've just reconnected wireless only, and Firefox is sticky again. I'll switch it off when I've finished this info for you.

The only user of CPU is "windowserver", which was also the only user when I had Ethernet only a few minutes ago. There are between 6 and 9 (they come and go) others on the list, all of which show a bit of activity on 'Sample', but none of which are using CPU.

Any clues there?

A.

Do you have some type of backup using Time Machine?

Also Spotlight will do all sorts of accessing during indexing on an irregular basis.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

All good points. Try opening Activity Monitor after a reboot and watch it to see what is using CPU and RAM.

Could be a third party app or services starting up. Compare the activity level and duration compared to a Safe Boot.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the interest.

Back-up - yes, but SuperDuper, which pops up and gives you a warning that it's going to start (and I've got it set so it doesn't come in at first-thing boot-up times, but during the day).

Spotlight - know what you mean, but this was going on for way longer than Spotlight's usual little bursts.

Only Windowserver is active (using Activity Monitor) now in either configuration, that is either in Ethernet only, or in Airport only. The odd episode came with Airport, and on a Saturday morning, and has now disappeared, whichever way I connect. On Saturday morning two or three others on Activity Monitor were also doing something, but only 2 or 3 per cent CPU showed, whereas Windowserver is between 2 and 18 per cent.

I suspect that it was just a mass of local activity on all the many other local wireless networks - I can often see up to ten different networks on the Network list, although obviously they're not connected - I'll keep an eye on it during the week, and see if I get the same thing next weekend.

(Or you could blame the Olympics, which you might have heard are currently happening over here...)

Allen.

So everyone in the world is trying to get information about the Olympics via the internet and your browser is slow. Well I guess I'd say that just about clears that up. I know around here prior to my getting to 7 mb speed things would slow way down around the time people started preparing to go home from work. What is your internet service speed?

Haven't got a clue! I shall investigate on Virgin's website.

Can't say I've ever noticed it being either slow, or 'sticky', before, but I will see if others are getting similar conditions.

A.