Thread: Noisy fan on Lycom eSATA 2 Port PCIe Host Card

Default Noisy fan on Lycom eSATA 2 Port PCIe Host Card

The fan on my Lycom eSATA 2 Port PCIe Host Card is starting to rumble/buzz. Cleaned out the dust but it is still noisy. Any suggested fixes available?
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

If you have a local mom&pop computer shop nearby take the card there and have them put a new fan on it
    Damien,

Is it worth trying a dab of silicone lube? Used to be a reasonable option. suppose it depends on what lube was on it originally, and if they are compatible....

Still, if the bearing is shot, a new fan is cheap if it can be swapped without damaging the board.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

You sure it isn't a 4 port card? That is the only card Lycom makes with a fan on it. Better check, might some other fan in there.

Mostly dust makes fans noisy. If you have the 4 port card, take it out, loosen the screws holding the fan on ad blow it out with the screws loose. Tighten up and test. If it is still noisy shoot me an email.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Update on this problem

First it is the 4 port card. After the initial post I cleaned it out with some compressed air. It was still noisy but after about 15 minutes it quieted down. Today it started again so I pulled the card to take a look. The fan is a Sunon Maglev 124010VM, 12v dc unit. It is held on the heat sink with three screws and no thermal grease. I removed it and carefully cleaned it out with a air gun. On reinstall it was again noisy but quieted down after 5 minutes.
    In searching for a replacement it appears this is a very common fan, with a common problem of noise and nobody stocks a replacement and Sunon no longer lists them in their catalog. If I find a direct replacement I will post the number.
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

No problem with a replacement - I keep some in hand. Just shoot support an email on the contact page.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin