Thread: Burly Drives Unmounting Randomly...

Default Burly Drives Unmounting Randomly...

Okay, so recently I started having drives just "unmount" sporadically, only to corrupt LR catalogs and even scrap an entire working drive (thank god for the backup). What is the starting point to trouble shoot this?

It seems like all the drives on one burly sequentially unmount and remount within a few seconds of each other. The other Burly is stable. I have (2) 5 Bay Enclosures.

Please help me! I just opened & cleaned the troubled burly, also unplugged and replugged in all the esata cables inside. Scared to reconnect it and turn it on because I don't want to corrupt another drive. I do have some scratch drives I could use, but the problem happens most when I have a LR catalog open and the program is reading and writing from a drive - don't know if that is coincidence or not...

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

First is to check any drivers. Make sure you are running correct driver for the OS. Have to tell me what card you are running, what computer.

When in doubt with hardware test with a single drive. Move the drive bay to bay and duplicate the problem. That drive can be one with no data on it and just do the process that makes the problem appear. If you can zero a drive with Disk Utility then usually you can assume the issue is not hardware or drive itself - especially if the same application is the only cause of the problem.

There are ALWAYS things with LR causing problems. Hard part is figuring out why and how to stop it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

One other thing to check, voltage. It is possible for a power supply to start degenerating and giving lower than proper voltage. If you have a voltmeter around, test one of the white connectors inside, with and without drives. Red should be 5 volts, yellow 12 volts and both blacks are ground. Should not varry much.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thank you Rick. I switched the esata cable from burly to computer. Also, reset the firmware on the PM as I read in a different thread. Have it connected and running now, no problems yet, but haven't put the main working drive back in yet that was being used by LR when the problems started happening. Syncronize Pro is almost done copying the 440Gb from the backup to the NEW 2TB drive. Once that is done, I will move the New drive back into the problem burly and see what happens...

FWIW, LR works fine on the backup drive on the Good Burly, so I don't think its the Drive. In fact, I don't think I needed to buy a new drive, but oh well. Bought Disk Warrior last night too, that obviously didn't work because the disc kept ejecting while the directory was being rewritten, grrrrr

I will keep you posted. Hoping that my problems magically disappear...

I hate magic.... I wanna know it is solved. So, if it works in the other Burly, then we needs to see what happens now that you did the things you have tried. Let me know. Or actually let Brian know through the contact page if it is after tomorrow as I am out of town for a week. (goin fishin!)

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Just an update: So far, so good... I think it must've been a loose cable connection inside the unit, or flashing the firmware on the PM card, or replacing the esata cable to the computer, or maybe it was the sage I burned and the spirits I told to leave my burly enclosure - in any regard, thanks for the tech forum, it gave me some ideas, and I'm back to making clients happy.