Thread: connect mac mini to 2 esata drives?

Default connect mac mini to 2 esata drives?

Hi, I recently purchased a Mac Mini server. It has one eSata socket available.
    I also have a Firmtek 2-bay drive enclosure, with 2 eSata cables coming out of it, that I would like to connect simultaneously to the Mini.

In the past I was able to easily connect both drives to my laptop, using an Express Port Card, that had 2 esata sockets. Is there a simple (inexpensive) solution like this for attaching the two drives to the Mini?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Howdy -

Welcome aboard. Sorry, but there is no eSATA on Minis, or any Macs (unless you add a pci card). There is an HDMI port that looks similar.....

So, options:

- FW 800, that can be used with multiple volumes in series.
    - USB2 (handy, but too slow to be an eSATA alternative).
    - Thunderbolt storage, or a thunderbolt adapter.

Great speed and new options connecting to the TB port, but nothing inexpensive. Yell if you need more info.
    Last edited by unclemac; 07-14-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

There is even a Thunderbolt to Express34 adapter from Sonnet that would allow you to connect using your laptop card (or one like it - card has to have a Thunderbolt driver to work in the adapter)

Worth looking into anyway.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin