Thread: In like a (Moutain) Lion? Here comes 10.8.

Default In like a (Moutain) Lion? Here comes 10.8.

Will be very interesting to see if some of the 10.7 rough edges get smoothed down in 10.8. Looking forward to refinements in Address Book and iCal for example, neither of which thrill me in 10.7.

10.8 is breaking new ground, in a few ways:

• 10.7 is only up to x.x.4. Maybe we will see a x.x.5, but not much more. Never been another OS X version that did not get updates up to at least version x.x.8.

• Moving to full 64 bit everything. Breaking new ground.....while effectively killing off many early Intel Macs.

• 10.8 is only $19.99. 10.8 Server is only $19.99. Huge change....what's next? Free?? Apple's model of adding killer features that require a new(er) Mac is paying off.

Closer integration with iOS. Time will tell if this is eye candy, novelty, or core services integration that will put the hurts on Android and Windows ecosystems.

• 10.8 Server does away with the two tools we have had to manage the services since nearly the beginning. Server Admin and WorkGroup Manager.....are gone.

• What else? support for cutting edge, retina displays across the entire line?

Get ready. Here it comes.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Will be very interesting to see if some of the
    • 10.8 Server does away with the two tools we have had to manage the services since nearly the beginning. Server Admin and WorkGroup Manager.....are gone.
    Mountain Lion released today.

I was hoping that Apple would make an all-in-one Mountain Lion Server download available for purchase to avoid the two step seen with Lion Server. An all-in-one Lion Server download exist(ed) at least during recovery with a Mini Server.

Writing was on the wall for Server Admin with Lion; there was duplicate functionality in some cases and using Server Admin for initial setup didn't work quite as well as using Server. Server Admin however had some functionality, e.g. DNS and Workgroup Manager, that Lion's Server v1 just didn't have.

But don't cry about Workgroup Manager; reports of its demise are greatly exaggerated. You can still get it as a separate download for Mountain Lion Server:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1567

According to the linked support doc:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1822
    it appears that's the only remnant of Admin Tools that made it Mountain Lion.

Apple Remote Desktop got an update today too for Mountain Lion compatibility.

LMAO, I finally got the Mini Server setup with Lion this week, and now this.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I'm running OS 10.8 right now installed this morning seems to be running okay the voice-recognition works pretty well but you still need to proof read

Yes I made this post by talking at my Mac and boy do I feel silly

Looking forward to the screen mirroring through Apple TV and it's supposed to mirror your Mac screen on your Apple TV and I've just downloaded some apps will allow you to use your iPhone and your iPad as a mouse and keyboard
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I'm running OS 10.8 right now installed this morning seems to be running okay the voice-recognition works pretty well but you still need to proof read

Yes I made this post by talking at my Mac and boy do I feel silly
    You geek!

My download stalled after nearly 3 hours with less than 100MB to go, and the MAS gave me waring the option to retry. Luckily the download was cached, and the download picked up where it left off and is now done. I had to sign back into the MAS, so I bet my login timed out which then caused the download to stall.

I need to decide where to install it. 2d HD in the Mini, an external. My plans for downloading OS X Server v2 are on hold until I install 10.8.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

10.8 will delete it's installer file after it's done installing unless you move it out of the applications folder. So if you want to make a bootable USB thumb drive make a copy of the 'Install OS X Mountain Lion' file and keep it outside your applications folder BEFORE you install. Instructions are available on the web to make a USB thumb drive into a bootable OS X Mountain lion installer
    Damien,

Even though VMware Fusion v4.1.3 didn't give me handy version of 10.8 -- I used 10.7 64-bit -- from the drop menu, I went ahead and made a VM of Mountain Lion + Server.

In this environment can't speak much about performance.

As I expected, with the loss of Server Admin, some functionality has been moved to Server.app. Thing like DNS, which is kind of brutal to look at in the new Server.app -- gone is the long wide window, now everything scrunched into little space and sheets.

Open Directory setup and the on/off switch is now in Server.app. You can modify the password policy there. And that's about it. I can't figure out how to modify the authentication and binding policies to the OD server itself. I can't find it; and this page in the manual isn't helping me too much either. Hmm, am I going to have to do this from the command line? That's a bigger step backwards from Server Admin than DNS. DNS is now inelegant in Server.app, but as far as I can tell you can still do everything -- again I don't play much with that. OD on the other hand in Server Admin had little check-boxes for authentication and binding policies -- just the sort of thing I like. In Server.app, it's not just that they gave me something kludgy, they took away my toys.

Reading the manual was good for something, way at the bottom of this page is this gem:
    A Kerberos ticket is like a press pass to a jazz festival held at multiple nightclubs over a three-day weekend. You prove your identity once to get the pass. Until the pass expires, you can show it at any nightclub to get a ticket for a performance. All participating nightclubs accept your pass without seeing your proof of identity again.
    I took a quick look at Workgroup Manager for 10.8, which looks the same as the one in Server Admin in Lion (10.7). I didn't use it much. I did notice that Workgroup manager still has the ability to manage Preferences, which is essence duplicates the functionality of the newer Profile Manager.
    Last edited by eric; 07-26-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    OD on the other hand in Server Admin had little check-boxes for authentication and binding policies -- just the sort of thing I like. In Server.app, it's not just that they gave me something kludgy, they took away my toys.
    I feel really stoopid. I found/figured out how set all those LDAP authentication and binding polices, e.g. encrypted, block man-in-middle, bloking clear text passwords, etc. Apple provided a handy app called "Terminal".

slapconfig -getmacosxodpolicy to check binding policies.
    slapconfig -setmacosxodpolicy [plus setting/option] to set them; yo read the man page for details, LOL.

I'm not 100% sure it was there before, but I just saw that you can assign an SSL certificate to Open Directory in Server.app, which turns SSL on for OD. (That used to set in Server Admin (in Open Directory) rather than in Server.app. All SSL cert settings in ML Servrer are in one place, Server.app; that is an improvement.)

Before I noticed it in Server.app I checked:
    slapconfig -getldapconfig
    Then I turned on SSL
    slapconfig -setldapconfig -ssl on
    With slapconfig -setldapconfig you can also set the cert paths, but selecting a cert in Server.app actually provides the info in the config file -- thank goodness for that at least.

I'm not sure whether my tinkering with slapconfig made the SSL choice for OD in Server.app appear or whether it was there all along. At any rate for the other authentication policies, slapconfig -setmacosxodpolicy was/is needed.

Maybe Apple hid it some place but 5-6 commands wasn't so bad.
    Last edited by eric; 07-27-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Just bought a new 21" iMac for family use, hope to move up to 10.8 tomorrow......and install 10.8 Server on an external to start blowing things up.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin