Thread: iMac 2006 EMC 2124 no video, LED #3 not coming on.

Question iMac 2006 EMC 2124 no video, LED #3 not coming on.

Hello,
    So today I got an iMac from my friend.
    First it wouldn't turn on at all, no signs of life, so I have taken it apart, found diagnostics LED lights. When it is off *#1 is on. When I turned it on #2 came on. Heard really quiet noise from power board. Fans had a little kick, just barely, maybe made 1/50 of a spin. And that was all.
    After that I took out power board and HDD, looked at power board for any signs of damages - didn't find anything. Plugged in all the wires but left out the HDD - tried to turn it on, the white light came on and the fans started working but no video as before, still the #1 and #2 LEDs are on. Replaced HDD no changes, still no video. And LED #3 is not coming on.
    Reseated RAM. Tried different stick.
    Disconnected power cable and held the power button for a minute.
    Thought about testing external video but don't have the cable or monitor, not an Apple guy.
    What might be the issue?
    Thanks!

Default Welcome to the Guru's Forums

Which iMac or processor and any other hardware info.

Sounds like a bad or going bad motherboard... were you able to format or do anything to the new HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Which iMac or processor and any other hardware info.

Sounds like a bad or going bad motherboard... were you able to format or do anything to the new HDD.
    Here is the specs:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...nch-specs.html

No I haven't.
    Got a question, well first of all I'm not a Mac guy, don't know a lot about them, I'm a PC tech, anyways so I know that Macs make little chime noise as the computer turns on. Let's say the LCD is bad, would it still do it?
    I don't have the cable to test the external video, could it be that GPU overheated? Should I try reflow?
    Also the LEDs, do you have the guide about which numbers mean what.
    Kind sucks that system doesn't have BIOS alternative, and in order to figure things out you have to replace parts and see which one is at fault. Lol

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

look closely at the capacitors on the motherboard... are any swelled or leaking? if so they will need replaced if you can solder might be worth it but usually not worth it to pay to have it fixed

If the caps are ok try this

pull the battery, ram, hard drive and power cord then hit the motherboard reset button(s) and power buttons after that put in only the power cord and hit the power button. if you get beeps return the battery ram and drive and try to power up. if you get no beeps with the power cord only you probably have a bad MB
    Damien,

Went looking for the service manual. Only link I came up with was this one: http://www.tradebit.com/tagworld.php/imac

Not sure if these are the real deal or not.

I doubt it is capacitors on this model. I think that problem was a year earlier with the G5 iMac.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I doubt it is capacitors on this model. I think that problem was a year earlier with the G5 iMac.

Rick
    Years? really? it's pic looks the same as the G5 didn't realize it was an intel model
    Damien,

yer gettin old D.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    yer gettin old D.
    sigh... yes
    Damien,

Will see if I can dig up some info on that model.

But....have seen a good number of early intel iMacs slowly lose video. Typically they start getting lines or artifacts, and after months or even years....poof, no video. No idea if it is GPU specifically, soldering, caps, or something else. Some say it is simply a heat issue, though cannot confirm or deny. Just know that when it happens, a new logic board is the real fix.

Consequently, you nearly never see used/good condition boards for these models. Sad, but true.

While most Macs are solid, and (as a group) have long lives, there have been a handful of machines that simply don't last. Early G5 iMacs (ala the caps as mentioned), and some specific early Intel iMacs are among those that seem to crap out a a fairly high rate at about 5 years of age. Some have a heat/design issue, but most have been manufacturing issues, or component failures, such as a couple infamous recalls around bad Nvidia GPUs on MacBook Pros.

Likley that's what you are looking at. Or not looking at, as the case may be.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin