Thread: macbook pro graphics/display problem

Default macbook pro graphics/display problem

Hi there,
    The screen of my 1.5 years old macbook pro 2.66 GHz has got a strange distortion. Black or dark areas are displayed in a flickering green color. Other brightnesses are not affected!

Here is a video of how it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KoBq5gnFCs

I think it is not an LCD problem, because the error is not bound to any specific pixels or physical areas on the screen (as with dead pixels), but if you move a black window/picture/icon on the screen, you see that green distortion following your movement.
    Also I am getting my doubts that it is the graphics processor, because if I mirror the output of the internal display to both monitors, the external monitor is unaffected of the distortion. If the graphic processor chip for the internal monitor was faulty, shouldn't it output the same distortion to both monitors, when switched to mirroring?

Do you think it could be something like a loose connection of the LCD screen? By the way the problem is somehow related to heat, because sometimes when the computer is cold, the first few seconds after booting is distortion free. Then the green distortion starts...

As the warranty of my laptop has expired, I would like to know if anything could be done without paying apple 600 Euros for a new logic board. (Than was my local apple store's quote on the phone)

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Well as far as what is wrong I haven't a clue and that's not much help. But, I would say that if you take it to the Apple Store, talk real nice to them and explain that you had brought the computer in a short time ago with a problem and now you this problem, and could it be related, they might just take pity on you and fix it for free.

I mean it's a weird issue and maybe something they did caused this to develop. It's certainly worth 600 if they were to fix it.

Some one else may chime in here with some knowledge about the issue, but until then, good luck!

I recently saw a 2009 iMac that had a similar issue, except it was video being fuzzy.....on mostly flash based stuff. Thought about the same, possible graphics, maybe logic board.

Turned out to be software issue, as a clean install solved the issue. Very surprised it was software, as Flash and all other video related components were up to date.

If you have not re-installed or booted to another OS (DVD, external HD, etc.) you might try that first, just to rule it out.

If it is hardware, Apple has a "facilitation" process that they will fix any issue (not including visible damage, liquid damage) for a single flat rate, which - ironically - is usually much cheaper than a logic board. No idea if this is a US only option. If so, likely your best bet for a full repair, regardless of issue.

This might let you walk through the steps, to see what the options are for your location.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

As Unc suggests, boot off another drive to eliminate one chunk of hardware and software. Next thing is to plug in a second monitor to find out whether it's graphics or not. If the second monitor is clear of the issue then it's not graphics.
    Open it up, disconnect the DVD drive, the bluetooth and airport, and the hard drive - boot off another drive. If the problem persists then it's hardware related and most likely the LCD.

I've never been able to get Apple to do a flat rate fix in the last 10 years in the UK, but they used to do it that's for sure.
    It may be that the nearest store is populated by assholes who go out of their way to be unhelpful, as we found out recently, so the next time this crops up I'm going to call a different one.

Did this ever get resolved?

Default Help please!

My MacBook Pro has just started doing the same thing - and I'd be REALLY keen to know what the solution was! Help please!

R
    Last edited by Royrashbrook; 12-28-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Hi,
    Go through the steps mentioned above to diagnose the problem. It's all there in the last two posts.
    When you know what the problem is, finding the solution is straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon View Post
    Hi,
    Go through the steps mentioned above to diagnose the problem. It's all there in the last two posts.
    When you know what the problem is, finding the solution is straightforward.
    This is not necessarily true. I have the same issue, and as of yet the only remedy is to actually twist the bottom case or to apply significant pressure to a certain area under the computer. It is definitely a hardware component but haven't pinpointed it yet.

Well, that all depends on who is doing the investigating.

Funny how this is a 2 year old resurrection, but in the last year I must have taken care of at least 20 GPU failures - 4 in the last two weeks alone, 3 of which were iMacs. The reasons aren't always the same, but you're clearly talking about a Macbook Pro in this instance. I would stake your life on it that it's a GPU problem and that a few of the solder points under the GPU are dry. Flexing the board or pressing the case is more than likely making a temporary connection that give you the illusion of a fix.

If you are in the UK I can help you with it, otherwise you'll need to find someone who replaces - not reflows or reballs - GPUs.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Ah come on MacLoon, you'd only stake HIS life on it?

hehe.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Of course - the only things in life that are certain are death and taxes... just not interested in it being mine!
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Default Black screen flickers acid green colour

Hi, was this resolved please? Is it a GPU error and needs replacing? Any help would be great. Thanks
    MacBook Pro mid 2009

Only whoever has the Mac can tell what the problem is. I've done loads of them in the 4 months since the last post.

Where is it you're based? What is the average price of the fix? Thanks

Default Green screen

If I press to the left of the left side shift key the green disappears. Is this the temp connection of the broken solder? It happens more the longer it's on, eg getting warmer..

Default Macbook pro

Can you email me please, rollwithitukuk@yahoo.co.uk
    Could you do a repair for me? Thanks

There was a similar problem way back with iBook models. Apple will simply replace the logic board. Not really a repair....With that issue, it was a flexing of the LB, cracking the soldier connecting the GPU. Pressure on the case could restore the connection temporarily.

Sounds very familiar.

Have see about 5 of these failing GPUs in the last few months myself. Most have been 2011 15" MBP. All were fixed by Apple; most (here in US) paid for the single price repair (they will fix everything/anything).....for like $350. Not bad considering the logic board can run double that or more.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well that usually equates to $$$ here making it very expensive to resolve, which is why we do the replacement GPUs instead. If I could get logic boards replaced by Apple for $350 = 230 I'd do that every time.