Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Burly causing hard freeze

Th power supply comes to us all put together in the enclosure. It is just annoying taking it apart. Not tooo bad. You'll get it.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

OK, I have a spare 10.5 installer. I'll have to take it to post office and mail it on to you. All packaged up though. Soon as I get a chance, probably out tomorrow.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick, that is MORE THAN generous..... words fail me, but thank you thank you thank you. Please let me know if I can cross your palm with a little silver to help defray your postage and mailing costs, via Pay Pal or by another means.

Okay, got it.... the Power Supply is just a PITA to take apart, so I'm sure I can give it a whirl...... I'd really rather do that than cut and splice the wires. And at least I'll know that the job was done right.

Thanks again for everything!

Don't worry about it. I am just glad to get some service life out of all the stuff we collect over the years. I had to make sure I had a second copy as we still have G5 test machines that may require it. I have to go into town and get a haircut this afternoon, right across street from the post office. So off it will go. Small thing to do for one of our long time members here.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Rick,

Thank you again SO much.... disk arrived today safe and sound!

I DID get the fan installed As you suggested, it wasn't all that hard, just a wee bit difficult for first time land lubbers such as myself. Once I figured out how to get to the underside of the power pack without ripping out the wires from the front, it was a breeze (the hardest part was actually sliding the little white plastic wire retainer gizmo thingy back into place). Got the fan installed, plugged it in, and made sure everything spun up OK, and finally got the cover back on.

I am SO happy.... I owe you one Rick.... thanks again!

Yeah!

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Guess I spoke too soon.....

So, trying to make some back ups today..... unfortunately the second (lower bay) in the Burly, when drives are inserted, it's just not recognizing them. I made sure all the connections were good and solid before I put the cover back on, and now am kinda stumped.

We were also screwing around with the cables, and I marked them to make sure they went back in the same exact manner as before.... because we had it down to the point where a) it wasn't causing hard freezes anymore and b) a good working HD was recognized in both bays.

I have a longer set of cables (1 meter) that are brand new and never been used. I could try those instead and see what happens, but why drive bay 2 is no longer functioning, I don't know why.

P.S. - I took a flashlight and peeked inside bay 2. The fan is spinning, so it has power.