Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burly causing hard freeze

Default Burly causing hard freeze

Hello Gurus!

Hopefully you can help.... I have several issues going on actually. Here they are:

1) Last time I checked in, one of the problems I had was with the case fan in the Burly not running consistently. I went to Radio Shack and got a can of the "stuff" for cleaning electronics, followed ALL directions..... and apparently have screwed up one of the bays on the Burly. When I insert a hard drive into Bay #1, the computer instantly locks up into a hard freeze. When the same exact HD is inserted into Bay #2, it mounts just fine. Unfortunately, I only have two bays to work with here. Is there anything obvious I can look for.... wires that got messed up from the force of the spray from the can? Something? Worst case scenario, can the "guts" from Bay #1 be removed and replaced?

2) Mouse is wandering.... Lately, I have been having problems with my mouse. I do intricate sound editing work, and the mouse will just fly off unexpectedly all it's own, without provocation from me. It is getting kinda old. I go to click on a scroll arrow only to find the pointer has wandered off somewhere. I tried fiddling with the little dial on the bottom of the mouse (it supposedly alters the intensity of the light coming out) and it seemed to help for a while, but now.... nada..... back to same old stuff again. Should I be worried that this is indicative of some larger problem?

3) I probably shouldn't do this, but for a number of reasons REALLY need to upgrade to 10.5 It looks like the only way I can afford to do this is someone on eBay selling 160 GB WD HD's with a fresh install of 10.5 on them. I hate to do this, for a number of reasons, but at $35, it's within my price range. I really don't have $100 to $200 to fork over for a copy of 10.5 right now. Anyone else on the forum gone this route? The guy has a top notch rating with ebay, still tho, there's something that bothers me about doing this. Should I get over that feeling and fork over the $35 so I can get on with my upgrade to 10.5?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

1) I suspect a cable connection is twisted. Reseat the internal cable.

You don't say which connection type your Burly is. Different type of connection (eSATA or Firewire) makes a huge difference in how I would recommend you diagnose this. No problem fixing it, we'll figure it out.

2) Optical or laser mouse? Blow out and clean the mouse thoroughly. All it takes is a little lint to make the pointer going off on its own.

Mice get corrupted - especially Logitech mice, in my experience. WHat mouse do you have and what is its warranty period.

3) I bet I have a copy of Leopard I can give you.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

2 - try another mouse if you have one, at least for testing.

3 - If Rick doesn't.....I do.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

1) It's an eSATA connection...... reseat the internal cable? OK, I will get on that.

2) Optical/laser "Pro Mouse" - the clear acrylic kind. Should I blow it out with the canned electronics cleaning stuff from Radio Shack or should I just use my own breath to clean it out best as I can?

3) Awwwwwwwwww..... shucks..... you guys are the best!!!!!!!

1) Took Burly case off, reseated the SATA cable for Bay #1.... made sure everything else was good and tight.... put case back on, and attached all the cables again... made sure everything was good and tight on both ends, and inserted the HD from earlier that I know mounted OK in Bay #2..... and after about 10 seconds got a hard freeze....

I had my fingers crossed, though!

Further thoughts on this most welcome!

And thanks!

Use canned air on the mouse. If it is a Logitech and less than 3 years old, don't disassemble it (or at least don't tell them you took it apart to clean) or it voids the warranty.

Logitech at least will replace one that is still in warranty, usually with a newer model.

You can leave the cover off the Burly while you work on it. Next test is to swap the red data cable at the back of the bay. That way you test with a known good internal and external cable on a not known working bay. And you test the working bay with the not known working cable. SO swap the cable right at the back of the drive bay and then test each bay using just one known working drive.

That said, are you sure it isn't the drive that is causing the problem? Just asking, you did say that the drive works in bay 2.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Here's a horrible thought... canned air will spray condensate (water) if you tilt the can or fail to clear the nozzle first. You didn't ...um ...by chance.. maybe moisten your burly did you?
    Damien,

Default And..... we have a result....

So, as per Ricks' suggestion, swapped the internal SATA cables of the Burly. Bingo! The HD mounts perfectly fine in Bay #1, now it hard freezes when inserted in Bay #2. So, I guess that means we have a faulty SATA cable then?

I am also assuming that is a quick and easy fix?

And,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Here's a horrible thought... canned air will spray condensate (water) if you tilt the can or fail to clear the nozzle first. You didn't ...um ...by chance.. maybe moisten your burly did you?
    Damien, I really don't think I did. I read over the label several times, and tried to be as careful as I could. I was fairly alarmed at the force of the spray when it came out, but assumed that all was OK.

Maybe it's just coincidence that I developed a bad cable after spraying the stuff? I don't know..... I'll tell you this, though.... the inside of my Mac needs a good cleaning, but now I'm REALLY afraid to spray the stuff in there.

Also....... BTW.... I was having problems with the big Burly case fan running intermittently..... with the top of the case off, I sprayed some at the fan.... it is running much better now. Don't know why I didn't think of that before!

Ricks.... let me know how to proceed from here.... if you think a replacement SATA cable will solve the Burly problem.

So now you have to swap the external cables right at the back of the box and test again. Make sure you test both bays.

What we are doing is narrowing the list. The connection to the drive is:

port on host card - eSATA cable - internal SATA cable - bay

You have ruled out the bay. So now have to swap eSATA cable - only at the back of the Burly.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Cue music from the "Twilight Zone"

So, I swapped the external cables at the back of the Burly..... and the drive mounts just fine in BOTH BAYS.

This is NOT a result I expected to see, but, hey, if it solves the problem (uh, more or less)......

The unfortunate thing was the better performance from the case fan after I sprayed it with the canned air from the last go around.... it is back to its usual sporadic self again.

What next, oh Gurus.....

Cold bushing fans are noisy. If the fan doesn't quiet down when it warms up then replace it. You can use either the original 80 MM fan or the high end Vantec replacement. Available on the Burly parts page.

Sounds like you had a funky connection on the external cables. Swapping them around got them reseated? A little usage will tell you if all is now well.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick!

I put in an order for a fan, so that should help solve that problem. As you say, more usage will tell whether or not all is well. Still kinda weird tho!

My next question is this: having had this problem with the Burly (now I'm guessing that it's NOT related at ALL to the electronics cleaner), is this stuff REALLY SAFE to blow out all the dust from my G4 Tower Mac? It needs it badly..... but I can't really afford any down time if something goes wrong.

I guess I'm just skeptical now, that's all.........

I have never even given canned air a second thought. We use it as indiscriminately as taking a breath. I would have to say yes, go for it.

About half the time with the towers, I take em into the shop and use air compressor air. THAT you have to careful with as you can break things and burn out fan bearings if you spin em too fast. SO I also use a plastic spudger to keep the fans from turning while I clean them with 150 PSI air.

Canned air is almost impossible to damage anything with.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick!

I must seem silly of me to be so skeptical of the stuff, but I know my Mac will appreciate a good deep cleaning.... may have to do a couple, actually, I'm afraid there's so much dust.

Thanks for all your help, as usual.

Talking Tear apart info on the Burly?

Okay, so the replacement fan arrived OK, but am wondering if there are tear apart instructions on the Burly? Since I've got the 2 bay model, I remember doing SOME assembly, but my memory is that most of it was already put together.

Also, it looks like the wiring for the new fan goes all the way into the little metal housing cage where the power supply is? Looking at it, wouldn't it be easier to just cut the wires, remove the old fan by pulling out the screws on the back of the case, remove the wire cage from the old fan, put it on the new one, put the new fan back in, and then splice the wires together with some really really really tiny wire nuts? Or maybe not....

Also.... Rick or Uncle Mac.... both of you very generously offered copies of OS 10.5. If that offer still holds, please PM me at freebeerandchicken at gmail dot com so that I can make some Pay Pal arrangements with one or the other. Thanks!!!!!

And again, thanks for all your help!

P.S. -- Oh, I did the cleaning! BOY! My Mac runs about 100% quieter now. I actually had to check several times to make sure all the fans were running, it was so quiet!!!!! Glad I did it.

To me is is easiest to disassemble the 2 bay and plug the wires in.

However, it is also a snap to cut the wires long, so you have a lot of room to work, and then use small (red) automotive butt connectors to connect them up. Or solder them, or whatever.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Drives trays out, power supply loose, now what...

Okay, not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but have the drive trays out, got the screws undone from the power supply, and when I (carefully!) lift up the power supply and look at the underneath, there is a circuit board there covering the whole assembly.

Not having done this before, how EXACTLY do I gain access to the inside of the power supply where (I assume?) the fan wires plug in? There are wires everywhere, some of them very short (like, the one for the power button on the front of the unit), and I have no room to really move around with here.

Kinda wishin' I'd stuck with my former idea here, but, well, we've got it this far......

Thanks.

The power supply board is screwed into the cover with 4 screws. The short wires will unplug - hard part is getting the wires arranged (not where they plugin, but keeping the wires in places as you screw the dang box back into place.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I'll mail you an installer DVD to the address we sent the fan to. That is, if I find a copy. Gotta be 2 or 3 of them around here.....

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default Thanks!

That'll be REAL helpful! For some reason, I really do NOT remember messing with the power supply end of things when I got the unit, so I'm thinking that part of it must have already been done by somebody else.