Thread: Manage partitions on Mac drive

Default Manage partitions on Mac drive

Hello there,

I had two partitions - Space and Space2
    Now decreased Space size and want to merge that free space with Space2.

How can I do that? Here is the image attached showing my drive status.

Well you have left a great deal of information out. But i'll take a stab and suggest you get Drive Genius software it will easily do what you ask.

I have never been a fan of doing that. It has long term risks. Much safer and cleaner to back it up, reformat and copy the data back.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Although you could adjust on the fly, as of 10.6 IIRC, I am with Rick on this.

Adjusting partions has a certain amount of risk, so you should always back up first. If you have a rock solid backup, why not format, and avoid any risk of issues?

And, you have a current backup.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Ok what was I thinking, of course they are right. Actually I didn't know there were problems with the plan, but then, if you don't have a backup, THEN YOU SHOULD. Even if there wasn't a problem with resizing the drive, there should always be more than one backup.

I sit corrected

Got some and testing few resizing tools. One from my friend and another is free download.

Yes, I'll keep the backup before testing any tool and let you know the case details.

Drive Genius 3 was quite expensive with many features which I don't need. So, I used Mac partitioning software of Stellar. And it did it. Here are the screen-shots of both Stellar Mac partition manager and disk utility.

Nice. Thanks for reporting back. Real feed back from real users is always valuable.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin