Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New wireless router, can't 'see' 2 Macs...

Default New wireless router, can't 'see' 2 Macs...

Hello all.

A strange problem:

I HAD a Belkin wireless router. From it I ran a Mac Powerbook, wireless, and an iMac, ethernet.

Router clapped out. Only a cheapo (12 ish) so no tears, chucked it.

Bought a new 'expensive' Netscape router, Wireless + 4 ethernet ports. (45).

Now, I can make the iMac wireless, by putting in the appropriate Network name, and the appropriate supplied password, and it works fine. Or I can run the iMac via ethernet, and fine.

But EITHER way, I can't make the laptop work on wireless. (The only way I can make it connect is using another Ethernet cable, which is okay, but odd).

I do precisely the same on the Macbook as on the iMac - go to Network, put in the appropriate Network name, then the appropriate supplied password, and after trying to connect for a minute or so it fails. The machines are where they were under the old Belkin set up - the laptop is 2 or 3 metres from the router, the iMac is a metre away.

Does this sound like a fault in the new router, and if not, any other ideas most welcomed - it's all running, with a Wireless iMac connection and an Ethernet Macbook connection, but that of course is back to front! It's the laptop that I want wireless...

It doesn't matter THAT much, but I don't like unexplained problems!

Thanks.

Allen, London.

Which Powerbook and what OS?

How did you set up the wireless?
    - What type of wireless? b, g, n, or some combination
    - What type of encryption? WEB, WPA, WPA2

From the sounds of it I suspect that the older Powerbook can only handle certain type of wireless (b or g) and encryption. If you new router isn't set up to allow connection either the wireless type and encryption it will fail.

Hello Eric, and thanks for getting back.

Here's what I know (and some of it is just words to me)...

Wireless Network:
    SSID Broadcast - enabled
    Channel set to auto
    Mode set to up to 145mbps

Security Options:
    set to WPA2-PSK [AES]

Product description: NETGEAR N300 Wireless Router WNR2200
    4-port switch - 802.11b/g/n

Macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo
    OS 10.6.3

iMac 3.2GHz Intel Core i3
    OS 10.6.4

PS: yesterday on the Macbook I could 'see' a dozen or so networks, today I can't see any - which does make me suspicious that the Airport receiver is somehow on the blink... Half-hour later -
    forget that!
    I've just tried looking at networks on both machines, and this time I get about ten options on Macbook, and fewer on iMac. Still can't connect to my network, of course.
    I don't know how this works - I thought neighbour's networks were 'on' all the time, but maybe not.
    Sorry to confuse the issue.

Thanks.

Allen.
    Last edited by billybobski; 06-02-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: more info. again

Me again - message board wouldn't let me make any more edits to my last message.

So, progress.

I downloaded a little diagnostic prog called iStumbler, the function of which is primarily to see what signal strength you're getting on, for example, Airport.

Ran it on iMac, ran it on Macbook, no great differences. Then, for the hell of it, tried AGAIN to connect Macbook to network, and blow me down it connected. So now I have iMac and Macbook both connected to the same Network, running fine.

Made sure ethernet was pulled out of course, restarted Macbook a couple of times, but Network is still there.

Maybe iStumbler has a bug-fixing capability that it doesn't shout about, maybe by tomorrow morning it'll all be back to square one.

Who can tell.

I shall, one way or the other, report back tomorrow on the state of the networks.

Ta.

Allen.

Might also see if there is a firmware update to the Netgear. Sometimes there is a bug that needs fixing, and updates are cure.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello Unclemac, and thanks - I'll check that.

Macbook today has gone back to not connected mode, so I've plugged in the Ethernet again, and it's fine.

So it did work for 12 hours plus, before failing, which makes the problem very strange once again.

I'll go and seek out firmware.

A.

Run all the updates. still on 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 this may be your issue, you should be on 10.6.8

Greentree:

I've run the software updates for both Airport and OS, so I'm now on 10.6.8 on both machines.

And the Powerbook still doesn't connect, ho ho.

I've got a message in to the Netgear forum, but it's not as good as MacGurus (of course). And for that matter, neither is the Netgear website. I've got a certain version of firmware for the router, and I want to know if there is an upgrade for it, but it's surprisingly difficult to get a proper answer!

Ah well, on we go...

Allen.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Is encryption hardware based ? I thought it was and if so I bet the powerbook can't handle WPA2 You might try setting that to WEP and see if that does the trick. I have to do that with my wireless so my sons older Nintendo DS can connect
    Damien,

Hello Damien.

Don't know how the encryption works.

I CAN go to Netgear's site and change various settings on my own router, including, I think, security, so I'll look into that.

But can't see how it worked for 12 hours then dropped out again.

The Netgear site gives these security options:

None
    WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

So none of them appears to offer 'WEP'. Should I try 'none' or is that too dangerous?

Allen.
    Last edited by billybobski; 06-04-2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: more info.

I wouldn't leave it on none but you could try it for a short while to test to see whether this is the issue
    Damien,

Well I guess I'll jump in here. Not that I'm an old pro at wireless.

That said, I have a actiontec modem hooked up to an Airportexpress. I've had numerous issues using it in some situations. Te only fix I could ever come up with:

1. I changed the password on the modem so only I could make changes.

2. Set security settings on modem is low

3. Set the "macs" to stealth mode

4. Set the Airport express to sealth mode

Might be that the router is not playing well with the macs. Might be worth a try while your waiting for netgear support.

Thanks yeungfeng, I'll try that lot.

But we do have a whoops, I think.

Having upgraded both OS to 10.6.8, I can't access Airport Admin Utility, which is the wrong level - I want to get into it as I believe it has various security level options, and I wanted to see if Damien's WEP was on Airport's pulldown menu.

So currently I have been downloading Airport upgrades from Apple, trying to bring the systems back into synch, and I'll aim to get that done before trying anything new. (Latest: STILL can't get Airport Admin working properly, and 'ordinary' Airport Utility won't even recognize the Airport network that IS working! Grrrrh!)

I'll report back.

Allen.

Wait, what?

Airport Utility? That will only gain you access to Apple routers (Airport Extreme and Airport Express models).

The Netgear, like 95% of network gear has a web interface, allowing you to manage the device with a web browser. The router IP address (typically 192.168.1.1 for Netgear stuff......unless it has been changed) is how you access it.

Or did I miss something.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Wait, what?

Airport Utility? That will only gain you access to Apple routers (Airport Extreme and Airport Express models).

The Netgear, like 95% of network gear has a web interface, allowing you to manage the device with a web browser. The router IP address (typically 192.168.1.1 for Netgear stuff......unless it has been changed) is how you access it.

Or did I miss something.....
    Nope you're on track there, Unc.

Allen,

Are you running wireless from both the Netgear and the Apple Router? If so you should turn off one wifi and troubleshoot only one at a time.
    Damien,

Unclemac, Damien.

I am learning as I go. I know damn all about wi-fi, routers, airport, etc., etc., as you might have noticed.

I thought Airport Admin was useful to me, but now understand it only works if I'm using something called an Airport Router. Which I'm not. And I don't know what an Apple Router is, either.

Just for the sake of clarity.

All I have is this:

One iMac, spec as above, and One Powerbook, spec as above.

I have a Cable Modem supplied by Virgin Media, which brings me TV, telephone, and Internet.

I connect to the internet via a Router. It used to be a Belkin Wireless router, till that clapped out and I threw it away. I used to have my iMac on Ethernet through that router, and the Powerbook on Wireless, through that router.

So I bought the Netgear router, spec as above.

What I can now do:

connect to the internet via Ethernet on either Mac.

connect to the internet via Wireless (Airport) only on the iMac.

What I can't do:

connect to the internet via Wireless on the Macbook, even though I put in precisely the same settings when setting up the Macbook.

Yes, I can access the Netgear website, which tells me what set up I've got, and offers various alternatives (such as the security options detailed above).

But having said all that, that is most definitely The End of my 'knowledge'.

So if you offer me other suggestions (and PLEASE do!) keep them simple, as I am Not Clever in these matters.

Humbly,

Allen.

No worries Allen. Lack of experience is no crime.

OK, so retire the Airport Admin tool. All about the browser, and managing the Netgear with it.

FYI, even though you are using a browser, you are not accessing "the Netgear website", in the sense of over the internet. What you are accessing is a web based interface that the router produces, that lets you manage it. Yes, it is a web site.....but it is not internet related. So, you can manage your router as long as you plug a network cable between the router and a computer. Even with no internet. Just the router talking to the computer over a network cable. Just so you know!

I vote for turning off all wireless security for testing. See if everything connects correctly, and stays connected. Don't worry, we will get back to security once everything is working correctly.

And tell us the version of the current firmware on the router, and we can see what updates are available.

Oh yeah... something has been bugging me about this for a while and I couldn't remember what it was. The last time I used a Netgear (couple years ago) Safari didn't play nice with the Netgear settings you could see the page but it wouldn't save changes. I don't know if this is still the case but you might try Firefox if you think this might be affecting you
    Damien,

Good idea. I don't think they have the issues they used to some years back, but good to rule that out.

Slow progress.

I haven't tried turning the Security to None on the Netgear page yet.

Firmware is V1.0.1.62 which Netgear support say is latest for European versions of that router.

I have been using Firefox rather than Safari (for other, unconnected, reasons).

In the morning, I will try 'None' security.

Oh, I did try turning off Firewall on the Powerbook, but it didn't make any difference. (It is 'on' on the iMac, which connects to Wireless without any problems.)

Shot in the dark, and probably utter nonsense. The two machines are loosely connected on a local network, the iMac being 192.168.1.3 while the Powerbook is 192.168.2.3. I have only a vague idea what this means, too! But does the fact that the addresses are so similar have any bearing on the lack of connection?

I'll come back about the security.

Allen.