Thread: dual monitors

Default dual monitors

I have a Dual 1ghz powerpc G4 with a stock ATI graphics card.....

I need more monitor real estate and currently own 2 x 20" apple studio displays.....There is only one AGP slot......

what is the cheapest way to set up dual monitors without having dual information on each ?

Thanks

I would look for a ATI Radeon Mac Edition. Has a couple ports.... have to find it used as I don't think anyone has made AGP cards in a number of years. I was thinking of parting out our G4... hadn't got around to it is all. Lots of used cards around.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I've got a GF ti 64MB but it has the long board - blocks air flow. It sits unused a G4 1.6 Dual GHz Giga.

I had a nice Radeon Pro once too. Used/refurb ebay or other?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

OWC usually has some Radeon Mac Editions on their garage sale page. Used but at least you get a DOA guarantee
    Damien,

Thanks. How do I know what models are compatible with my G$ ? I quickly googled the m and I see alot of G5's being mentioned....

If I were you I would put the money into upgrading the Mac to a G5 at least. There's not a lot around that will do what you need in AGP... none of the cards I have found have dual DVI ports, having either DVI + VGA or DVI + ADC.
    One question though: you say you have a 20" STUDIO display... Apple only produced 20" CINEMA displays and they came out in two versions - with ADC and DVI connections. Which has yours got? If you got ADC connectors it ain't going to happen. If you've got 2 x DVI then you've got a problem. The only solution I can find that will work 'out of the box' is if you've got one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon View Post
    If I were you I would put the money into upgrading the Mac to a G5 at least. There's not a lot around that will do what you need in AGP... none of the cards I have found have dual DVI ports, having either DVI + VGA or DVI + ADC.

If you've got 2 x DVI then you've got a problem. The only solution I can find that will work 'out of the box' is if you've got one of each.
    Actually ADC is basically DVI + power. There a small adapter ADC to DVI, which doesn't pass the power and has the right DVI form factor. So if the dual monitor card is ADC and DVI, then you can drive two DVI monitors. I've done that. I use an ADC to DVI adapter on the ADC port, so I don't lose/misplace the adapter.

I think the last retail offering for the G4 AGP slot was the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

There is a tape hack for using a AGP 8x Radeon 9600 pulled from G5s in a AGP 4x G4. The ADC won't get power without serious work, but with the ADC to DVI adapter you can drive a DVI without much fuss. I have one of those G5 Radeon 9600 with some tape in my MDD -- it drives my 23" HD Cinema DVI. Might need to do some googling for this hack, to make sure it will work in the G4 you have. Whoa, check these out, there are lot more G5 card options:
    http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/compatibility

Never seen an adaptor so I couldn't comment on that.
    I was aware of various options regarding chopping out pins or putting kapton tape over them from G5s but unless the user is familiar with that type of operation and prepared to put a hacksaw through a card it's not something I'd normally discuss.
    I still think it's a mistake to chuck a load of money into something that is forever speeding into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon View Post
    Never seen an adaptor so I couldn't comment on that.
    I was aware of various options regarding chopping out pins or putting kapton tape over them from G5s but unless the user is familiar with that type of operation and prepared to put a hacksaw through a card it's not something I'd normally discuss.
    I still think it's a mistake to chuck a load of money into something that is forever speeding into the past.
    Sorry to link to Amazon, but here's an ADC to DVI type adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2E9142.../dp/B000067RLH

Getting a G5 card to work in a G4 (if you can live without power to the ADC port) only requires tape, hence my comment about not needing "serious work".

Just giving options for avoiding spending lots of money. Depends on what the person is looking for. I want a Mac that still boots OS 9, in fact I needed it a few month ago -- and no Classic wouldn't do. My MDD can do that, a G5 can't.

LOL! I've still got a IIvx that I use from time to time so I guess in some ways I'm as bad as you!
    I gave up trying to keep my G4s going though as there's nothing on them that can't be run on the G5. Always feels a bit defeatist going back to it though.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I want a Mac that still boots OS 9,
    I still keep one around... Powermac 8500 upgraded with a G3 233, a Voodoo 5 5500, SATA card and I think the third card is a high speed network card... can't remember it's been a LONG time since I used it.
    Damien,

thanks everyone... sorry it's been a while to respond to my own thread..... been on vacation...

getting a new Mac isn't an option for me financially.... plus, I have a closet full of G4's and parts....enough to keep my recording studio mac up and running for years.....

I have a studio display AND a Cinema display. Both are ADC... however, I do already have a DVI adapter box for one of them...Apple brand....

again, I need to have 2 monitors ( without duplicate info).... I need more monitor real estate..... I thought of buying a giant monitor but need my monitors in 2 different locations in the room....

anyway, I still need to find the AGP dual monitor card..... if anyone has one for sale, let me know..... there has to be a used ATI Radeon 9600 Pro somewhere out there..... HELP......

I have one of these sitting in an anti static bag.

If I remember right you can only use the G5 model in a G5.....
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin