Thread: Never seen this before...

Default Never seen this before...

Somewhat worrying:
    Macbook Pro 13" came in on Saturday with a hard drive problem. Owner had been some really crap advice on a forum somewhere and, instead of trying to repair his drive, was told to repartition it!
    He said that it had failed, but the drive was 'wiped' anyway. So, I used Data Rescue and File Salvage to get the files back, took ages, but got there eventually on Sunday.
    New drive arrived this afternoon, so I put it in the Mac, booted off a Lion DVD to format the drive and install the OS... it told me it couldn't partition the drive, came up with error messages. Presumed that there was a problem with the DVD - shouldn't have been as I only burnt it last week and hadn't been used yet.
    So I took the drive out, put it in an external box, formatted the drive on my MBP, put it back in the 13" and started again with the install DVD. Told me there was an error and couldn't install anything.
    So, undeterred, I booted off my external Lion master drive and set about cloning it... CCC started up and then came up with messages about failing to make links... parent folders etc.
    So NOW, I have to conclude that the 13" MBP is wonky as the clone is going smoothly on one of my macbooks.
    This really is not looking good!
    Anyone else come up against this before?

Right, have concluded that the problem is with the SATA port as the drive will boot the Mac in an external box, but not when it's actually in the Mac. Yes, I've done all the usual stuff with PRAM and SMC. My next port of call is to get hold of an HDD sled, take out the DVD drive and put the HD in that. I suspect that's going to work as it was happy enough to boot off the DVD in the first instance.
    Not sure what else I can do about it unless the poor sod wants to buy a new logic board!

Good lord, a simple issue that trashes the whole motherboard. Disposable takes on new meaning.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well, there's nothing I can think of that can reset a SATA port! So the only option is to use the DVD port. It won't be as fast, I don't think, but I have to give the owner an option if possible. I hate giving nothing but bad news.

You should be good regarding speed. Have see a few with two SSDs striped, between HDD bus and OD bus with good performance.

Will be interesting to see if the SATA bus is the issue, or if it could be something else.......what about the SATA cable?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I've ordered a couple of sleds as I want to put one into my MBP anyway and get rid of the unreliable DVD "StupidDrive" that picks and chooses what it wants to work with... I'm on my third one!
    I haven't got a spare cable to try it with unfortunately and the logic board connectors on the HD and DVD are different otherwise I'd have tried that already. I might get lucky and get another 13" in before the sled turns up and swap out of that first.