Thread: New MBP and Air

Default New MBP and Air

USB3, Flash drives, Turbo Boost on the processors, newer Intel Graphics.

Interesting updates to the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

(hopefully a MacPro upgrade is next)

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

The Mac Pro did get a bump, just not the big redesign everyone hoped for.... Looks like they just plugged in updated CPUs. No TB, no USB 3, nothing else different I can see that says "new chipset" like different RAM spec.

Happy it was not dropped as some feared, but sad that they may go another long period (how many months?) without TB, USB3, smaller case, rack mountable, more SSD options, etc.

I am now officially conflicted.

----

And why no iMacs? Over due, and everything in the new notebooks will slide right into iMacs.

Maybe a marketing thing (not to shoot the whole wad at the same time), or maybe they are still sorting out a new case, cooling, or something like dedicated GPU options.

.......Soon I hope!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Not really even an attempt to keep the MacPro on the table. Halfhearted at best.

Looking like MacGurus is going to be a switcher site yet. Hate to say it but a good portion of our customer base has already pulled the plug and moved to PCs. No way to do high end work on an iMac or MBP.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    The Mac Pro did get a bump, just not the big redesign everyone hoped for.... Looks like they just plugged in updated CPUs. No TB, no USB 3, nothing else different I can see that says "new chipset" like different RAM spec.

And why no iMacs? Over due, and everything in the new notebooks will slide right into iMacs.

Maybe a marketing thing (not to shoot the whole wad at the same time), or maybe they are still sorting out a new case, cooling, or something like dedicated GPU options.

.......Soon I hope!
    Yeah, seems like with the Mac Pro they just dropped in new CPUs. They need a new motherboard for all those goodies, and your guess is as good as mine why they didn't do in time for WWDC.

iMacs, I suspect it's in part a marketing thing. If last year is any guide, the iMac and portables get staggered releases, one after the other -- LOL, but you have to exclude the "silent" CPU bumps which are more prevalent these days then they were years ago.

The portables were early 2011 (Feb), then came the iMacs mid (May).

The portables got what was essentially a CPU speed bump at the end of the year (Oct) -- there wasn't anything radically different with these.

I'd look for a new iMac 2-3 months out, although that timing is weird since they would come at the tail end of the back-to-school season.

LOL, there was no MacMini update either. iMacs and Mini is the next round?

BTW, also an update to the Airport Express:
    http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
    Good changes, dual-band, separate LAN and WAN ports (10/100 unlike the Extreme which has Gigabit Ethernet). Too bad about the new form factor however, I actually liked the not having to use a power cord. No fussing about where to mount or place it and the power cord mess. Worked great that way for extending networks -- just plug it in a socket and leave it there.
    Last edited by eric; 06-12-2012 at 02:30 AM.

I wonder why we didn't see more Thunderbolt adapters. Thunderbolt to USB3 would have been sweet. Or even an inexpensive Thunderbolt Blueray DVD burner.

Apple *probably* won't make much in the way of external Thunderbolt stuff themselves, like a Tbolt to USB3 adapter. That is already in the works from a half dozen or more different third party developers. I think LaCie has one out already - admittedly overpriced and with LaCie's traditional crap for quality.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Apple *probably* won't make much in the way of external Thunderbolt stuff themselves, like a Tbolt to USB3 adapter. That is already in the works from a half dozen or more different third party developers. I think LaCie has one out already - admittedly overpriced and with LaCie's traditional crap for quality.
    I don't think there is a Thunderbolt to USB3 adapter out per se....mainly because such a device would no doubt depend on drivers, which up until yesterday was totally unclear if and when Apple would deliver something.

Been meaning to post to the "what the heck is thunderbolt" thread. But Rick, you were right, once the 1-year favored manufacturer (LaCie and Promise) status ran out, more thunderbolt gear is a coming.

On the USB3 front, there a couple interesting looking (only announced) hubs that include USB3 as some other goodies.

Belkin

Matrox

Given my setup (with a minidisplay port monitor), I like the looks of that Belkin with a thunderbolt passthrough. Not clear whether the Belkin's eSata port will support port multiplier. The Lacie eSATA hub, from user reports on the web, does not.

Looks like Sonnet is shipping their T-bolt expansion chassis (1 or 2 slot), which is one way to get eSATA w/port multiplier and USB3. Kind of pricey just for USB3, but hopefully won't be the only way to get eSATA w/port multiplier.

Magma's working their expansion box too.

Eric:

Must be reading my mind on the iMacs. The only other thing I can think (outside of marketing notions) is that they are doing a case/model redesign too. What?

I would love to see:

- a way to easily change HDs - like the MBP line is now
    - ditch the optical drive and give me room for at least two interal 3.5" HDs
    - make all iMacs easily VESA mountable
    - lower the glare factor on the glass (as reported on the new MBP)

And I could see them redesign with no "chin" so the iMacs would look like a display......or a giant iPad.

No need for a TB to USB3 dongle, with native USB 3 ports. A USB3 hub would make more sense, getting more than one port, and likely much cheaper.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Rolleyes optical drives

I use mine EVERY day! (Then again I have a huge library of music CDs). I have never bought music online. I prefer the physical media. This looking around to see if Apple dropped optical drives is making me nuts. The writing is on the wall.
    Tom Babb

So, Tim actually confirmed a New MacPro is in the works, though won't be here until next year. Must have seen my wish list and got the boys on it.

Glad it is coming, but hard to imagine it will be worth the wait. It better come early in 2013, or there won't be any Pro users left. And will have to grumble at Win Gurus - where nobody will give a rip.

MacPro Wish list recap:

- TB and USB 3 (duh!)
    - Keep dual NICs
    - Smaller case, "convertible" to be rack mounted
    - access 4+ 3.5" HDs from the front of the case
    - Built in RAID 5/6 controller
    - optional flash storage ala' MB Air for boot drive
    - modular power supply that can be cold swapped in 5 min.

Lose the optical drive, or cut back to 1 bay.

Why? external optical is fine, cheap, and flexible. The super slim OD units in laptops and iMacs are too fragile and expensive IMHO. Would rather have a beefy external, full height, easy to swap unit if needed. Apple still sells an external, though the same feathery light (fragile) super slim unit. Just got updated yesterday too.

Oh, and Babs......you should really start ripping those CDs, and keep them as masters and backups. Scratch them and you are hosed........plus, how can you listen to them all when you have to find and load? Once ripped you can listen to them all, in any order, with zero wait. Can't tell you last time I got a real CD out play. All boxed up and stored.

No need for a TB to USB3 dongle, with native USB 3 ports. A USB3 hub would make more sense, getting more than one port, and likely much cheaper.
    Duh, that's why Apple has no interest in making a TB to USB3 dongle. The only computers that would have a need for those are the early TB Macs (portables, Mini, and iMacs), a little over a years worth of production. A portion of users with those Macs that would show an interest in those -- since USB3 is backwards compatible with the USB2 slot, many users won't even bother for that extra bit of speed. Left to 3d party to cover those machines.

More and future call for the TB - Gigabit Ethernet and TB - FW800 dongles. Actually the TB - Gigabit could be used on a Mini for dual NICs and bonding. I've seen some users in Apple forums trying the USB - Ethernet but it seemed to kick up errors.

So, Tim actually confirmed a New MacPro is in the works, though won't be here until next year. Must have seen my wish list and got the boys on it.

Lose the optical drive, or cut back to 1 bay.

Why? external optical is fine, cheap, and flexible. The super slim OD units in laptops and iMacs are too fragile and expensive IMHO. Would rather have a beefy external, full height, easy to swap unit if needed. Apple still sells an external, though the same feathery light (fragile) super slim unit. Just got updated yesterday too.
    Yea saw that about the MacPro, that's a long way away, they're probably doing an entire overhaul of the machine. Wouldn't surprise to see a new case design, maybe in line with your suggestions of one that can more easily convert to rackmounting since the X-Serve is gone.

The Apple USB Superdrive got updated? I didn't see that. Yeah it's expensive, but it looks good on the desktop. It's one of the few USB drives that doesn't need to eat two USB ports. I have one hooked up to my Mini. There's a small hack to get it work with a MBP, which I tried and found to be functional -- I didn't try burning however.

After replacing the slim drives on my previous 2 portables I try to cut down on the use of the internal. At work I use my old FW 800 Granite Digital with some PATA Pioneer Superdrive inside.

Aside from the occasional CD/DVD burn, I mostly use optical drives these days as readers for ripping CDs and making disc images of software CDs, which I use to install in much more zippier way.

Wink

the CDs are mostly ripped to Apple Lossless or FLAC.........however with the classical/opera releases I find it more convenient to listen directly to the CD. I have one of them high-end thingamagig CD transports wit a separate D/A converter that sounds great. Besides with opera you don't have to do a lot of disk swapping!
    Tom Babb