Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New wireless router, can't 'see' 2 Macs...

The IP addresses you have given them will not both connect to the same address. You must have all the numbers the same until the last set in the IP address. When one computer is at 192.168.1.xxx and the other is at 192.168.2.xxx, they are on totally different networks.

You will probably need to reconfigure the Powerbook to the third group being 192.168.1.x - with x being something other than 3, since then it would be identical to the iMac.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You could use static IP addresses, but if you simply set ever Mac to DHCP, you should have no IP issues......such as Rick described.

This assumes the router is in its default configuration, and is handing out DHCP IP address (the normal, default setup).

Keep in mind, IP addresses will not matter if you cannot join the network. To be sure everything else is right, you could plug every Mac that will not connect (over wireless) with a cable, and be sure you can surf OK.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks Ricks.

On checking my IPs, they are as follows.
    iMac 192 168 1 3
    Powerbook 192 168 1 5
    and Router 192 168 1 1
    so hopefully that particular conflict is resolved.

Unclemac:
    Both are set to DHCP.

The only odd thing to report is this. Prior to switching off Security, in the Devices Column on System Preferences, , Airport came up with 'self assigned ip address'. Now, having switched Security to 'None' on the Router set-up page, that just reads 'On', as you'd expect.

Anyway, first result from switching security off is that both Macs now run on Wireless. So far only for 15 minutes, so I'll report back later when the Powerbook has had a good run for its money.

30 mins later: well, that's that. Not connected any more. So I'll reinstate the security level as before, just to be safer.

Can't say I'm 100% happy about a security-free wireless connection, but I'll hold my nerve for a while!

Allen.
    Last edited by billybobski; 06-07-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: further info.

Hi BBski,
    Couple of small points: Powerbooks and Macbooks are different animals and the terms aren't interchangeable so reading through the posts I was wondering why you'd managed to update your Powerbook to 10.6.8 when it's not capable of running it!
    So, getting that out of the way, if you have a self-assigned IP address then that is showing that there's no connection to the DHCP server in the router even if it is showing up as being connected to it. It will also have an amber dot next to it, not a green one.
    I've had Netgear routers for much of the last 8 years and they are always a pain in the butt eventually. Most of mine have been replaced under warranty at some point or other, so I'm not exactly the biggest fan of them.
    I also have a TP-Link and a D-Link here as back up, but the Netgear DGN2000 is the one currently installed.
    The most common problem I have is with signal drop-out and often have to take my Macbook Pro to the office where the router is to reacquaint them and get them talking again. I also have to regularly reboot the router as well as download speeds can drop to snail's pace and a reboot will restore good order.
    I would suggest that you turn off the WEP (you should be using WPA2 anyway, not WEP) while you find out exactly what the problem is. I'm not totally convinced that Apple isn't responsible for much of the problems as even new iMacs have a habit of dropping the connections in spite of being in the same room as the router.
    I will always use a wired connection if at all possible, or convenient, as that eliminates a link in the chain.
    I'm afraid that you're going to have to deal with the pain though until you find out exactly where the problem is, just change only one thing at once, but... finally... use iStumbler to find out the channel numbers that your neighbours are using and then take your Netgear off auto and put it on a channel that is not occupied by anyone else, preferably at least 2 channels off the nearest one.
    Many routers will be pre-configured to be on 11, 2nd choice will often be 6, so out of the 13 available in your Netgear you should have a few to choose from.
    One of my clients lived in a block of flats in London and he was absolutely surrounded by wireless chatter and the problem was only dealt with when he used iStumbler and found that channel 4 worked best for him.
    Good luck with the hunt!

Hello MacLoon, and thanks for the interest.

Some preliminary answers.

First, the darned thing is working again, WITH WPA2 security level, but for how long, who can tell. Luckily I've still got ethernet plugged in as well.

It's a MacBook Pro, spec as above. It's got 'MacBook Pro enprinted into the bottom of the screen, as normal!

I haven't got WEP on the Router's list of security options, see above. My iMac has been running with WPA2 since I put this router in, about a week ago, with zero problems. (It's in the same room as the MacBook Pro).

I have used iStumbler, but not for the function you suggest. I'll do that (as this is flat-land, and we are surrounded by neighbours with wireless connections) and report back.

On the coloured dot front it reads like this.
    Green Ethernet
    Amber Bluetooth
    Red Firewire
    Amber Airport

Here are a couple of screenshots of my router's non-sensitive information, just in case it's any use.

Allen.

So your Macbook is wired up and airport turned on, but it's not connecting with wifi... Can it see the Netgear99? What happens when you try to connect to it? Do you get a 'timeout' message or something different? If you can't see it at all then I'd suggest you bin your preferences from the main library, not your user library and start it again.
    com.apple.airport.preferences.plist is in ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Hello MacLoon.

Yes, precisely. MacBook wired up, Airport on, but not connecting. It DID connect briefly when I turned Security to 'None' on Netgear site, but dropped out after 30 mins.

Yes, it can see Netgear99. If you try and connect with security in place, you get the request for the standard password (typed on the bottom of the box it came in, and repeated on the Netgear site). So you type in that password, and it goes into its 'connecting' mode. After 30-40 seconds, it either tells you 'Password invalid', even though it's quite valid - that tends to be the case through System Preferences/Network pane. If you go through the Airport symbol on the control line, it tends to be 'Not connected' rather than invalid password.

As I CAN see the Netgear99, I'm temporarily going to ignore your advice about binning preferences.

All through this, the router has been behaving perfectly on the iMac - hasn't dropped out once in over a week.

Allen.

Then the problem is within the Macbook, not the router and the most likely thing that is corrupt is the preferences.
    It will take you two minutes to test it. Turn off airport, send the prefs to the bin with cmd + backspace, turn airport back on and see what happens.
    If that doesn't work, turn off airport, drag the new prefs to the desktop, go to the ones in the trash and ctrl click, or right click and select 'put back'. Then you can bin the file on your desktop.
    It probably took longer for me to type this than it will take you to do it. Don't waste any more time hoping it will come right on its own.
    If you can't solve it with that, then try logging into someone else's wifi and see if it connects properly. If it still doesn't then it's most likely to be hardware at fault.

Can't say I'm 100% happy about a security-free wireless connection, but I'll hold my nerve for a while!
    Don't worry about it. If you haven't got file sharing turned on then you've got no worries.
    You can always set MAC filtering to keep passers by out and leave the password off.
    I trust that you haven't got admin or password as the access password to the router? If not, then you've not got much to worry about.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

If you go to the Macbook network control panel on the WiFi click 'Advanced' then click 'TCP/IP' what does your Macbook show as a 'Router Address'?

It should say 192.168.1.1
    Damien,

Damien, it's unlikely to show 192.168.1.1 if he can't connect!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

True but if it shows nothing he will have 'no connection' either. It may show a connection but still have no internet. Thought maybe he was misinterpreting no internet for no connection

I was just wondering if he was getting any info from the router at all. I had a router once that the DHCP would send no gateway info at all. I think it was the comcast one (glad to be rid of them)
    Damien,

I like saying this:

I'm with the 'loon on this one.

Another thing to try on the MB would be to delete the wireless interface, create a new one, and test again.

- In the network pref pane, select wireless (be sure it is high lighted) and click the little - button on the lower left.

- Once wireless goes disappears for the left hand menu, click the little + button, and select wireless again, and new port/interface will appear.

Not common, but have seen a few machines where the NIC interface gets wonky, and making a new one resolves it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Another thing to try on the MB would be to delete the wireless interface, create a new one, and test again.
    Good point Unc, I did exactly that with a miscreant Mac yesterday when the ethernet wasn't working, that didn't solve the problem though because someone had changed a router and the default IP address DHCP pool in the router changed from 2-254 to 11-50 and when you do that with static IP addresses in the system it sort of causes a problem!
    Deleting the airport is something that I've done many times in the past and another thing that could be checked, especially with laptops that wander about, is to make sure that the home network is at the top of the preferred networks list. I clear mine out every now and then as I collect networks like litter.

a bit of delay checking back. Agree with the suggestions about deleting the wifi/airport interface and creating a new, and eventually manually ditching the preference files.

One other thing to try since this involves hardware, i.e. the Airport card, is zapping the pram (4 finger startup salute) and/or resetting the smc.

Thanks, guys, for all those ideas!

I shall work through them one by one, after having changed the Router from Admin & Password, which (unusually for me) they still are...

I'll report back when I've got some reporting to do.

A.

So, first tries.

Turned off Airport, sent the prefs to trash (the ones at ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/).

Turned Airport back on again, same as before. COULD see the right network (netgear99), but either got 'password invalid' or 'connection timeout'.

Turned off Airport again, went to ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ looking for prefs, but nothing there.

Did it again, went again, still nothing there.

Is this A Clue?

Went to trash, moved prefs back to right location, turned Airport on again, retried, same problem. Off again, on again, all the same, so stopping there temporarily in case that lack of new prefs was significant.

(Oh, Damien, I did try looking at TCP/IP. Under 'Ethernet', I get the router adds as 192 168 1 1, but if I move to Airport, then as Loon predicts, I get nothing. I get information from the router to the extent that it connects with Ethernet, and it does transmit its 'netgear99' network signal, as Airport picks up that signal. It just won't connect with its supplied password).

Back to you, while I go and investigate UncleMac's Wireless deleting procedure (I take it when you say 'Wireless' in that left-hand list, you mean 'Airport' in my case).

Allen.
    Last edited by billybobski; 06-09-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: don't know left from right...

Hi Allen,
    No, it's in the left hand list where you also see ethernet and bluetooth as well as, most likely firewire. Unlock the padlock if it's closed, select airport and then hit the - button. Then you can use the + button to add airport back in again. It will most likely offer to call it Airport 2... doesn't matter what it's called though.

Quote Originally Posted by billybobski View Post
    So, first tries.
    Turned off Airport again, went to ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ looking for prefs, but nothing there.
    Allen.
    I think the, com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    you actually want to trash is located at the system level:
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

The tilde (~) actually refers to your home directory.

Now if you managed to trash the correct one, and a new file is not getting created, then I might repair permissions in case the permissions are off on that folder.

Sorry, Eric, my mistake on the ~. I did actually point Allen to the correct location in the post though.

"I'd suggest you bin your preferences from the main library, not your user library and start it again."