Thread: New wireless router, can't 'see' 2 Macs...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New wireless router, can't 'see' 2 Macs...

Hello all.

A strange problem:

I HAD a Belkin wireless router. From it I ran a Mac Powerbook, wireless, and an iMac, ethernet.

Router clapped out. Only a cheapo (12 ish) so no tears, chucked it.

Bought a new 'expensive' Netscape router, Wireless + 4 ethernet ports. (45).

Now, I can make the iMac wireless, by putting in the appropriate Network name, and the appropriate supplied password, and it works fine. Or I can run the iMac via ethernet, and fine.

But EITHER way, I can't make the laptop work on wireless. (The only way I can make it connect is using another Ethernet cable, which is okay, but odd).

I do precisely the same on the Macbook as on the iMac - go to Network, put in the appropriate Network name, then the appropriate supplied password, and after trying to connect for a minute or so it fails. The machines are where they were under the old Belkin set up - the laptop is 2 or 3 metres from the router, the iMac is a metre away.

Does this sound like a fault in the new router, and if not, any other ideas most welcomed - it's all running, with a Wireless iMac connection and an Ethernet Macbook connection, but that of course is back to front! It's the laptop that I want wireless...

It doesn't matter THAT much, but I don't like unexplained problems!

Thanks.

Allen, London.

Which Powerbook and what OS?

How did you set up the wireless?
    - What type of wireless? b, g, n, or some combination
    - What type of encryption? WEB, WPA, WPA2

From the sounds of it I suspect that the older Powerbook can only handle certain type of wireless (b or g) and encryption. If you new router isn't set up to allow connection either the wireless type and encryption it will fail.

Hello Eric, and thanks for getting back.

Here's what I know (and some of it is just words to me)...

Wireless Network:
    SSID Broadcast - enabled
    Channel set to auto
    Mode set to up to 145mbps

Security Options:
    set to WPA2-PSK [AES]

Product description: NETGEAR N300 Wireless Router WNR2200
    4-port switch - 802.11b/g/n

Macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo
    OS 10.6.3

iMac 3.2GHz Intel Core i3
    OS 10.6.4

PS: yesterday on the Macbook I could 'see' a dozen or so networks, today I can't see any - which does make me suspicious that the Airport receiver is somehow on the blink... Half-hour later -
    forget that!
    I've just tried looking at networks on both machines, and this time I get about ten options on Macbook, and fewer on iMac. Still can't connect to my network, of course.
    I don't know how this works - I thought neighbour's networks were 'on' all the time, but maybe not.
    Sorry to confuse the issue.

Thanks.

Allen.
    Last edited by billybobski; 06-02-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: more info. again

Me again - message board wouldn't let me make any more edits to my last message.

So, progress.

I downloaded a little diagnostic prog called iStumbler, the function of which is primarily to see what signal strength you're getting on, for example, Airport.

Ran it on iMac, ran it on Macbook, no great differences. Then, for the hell of it, tried AGAIN to connect Macbook to network, and blow me down it connected. So now I have iMac and Macbook both connected to the same Network, running fine.

Made sure ethernet was pulled out of course, restarted Macbook a couple of times, but Network is still there.

Maybe iStumbler has a bug-fixing capability that it doesn't shout about, maybe by tomorrow morning it'll all be back to square one.

Who can tell.

I shall, one way or the other, report back tomorrow on the state of the networks.

Ta.

Allen.

Might also see if there is a firmware update to the Netgear. Sometimes there is a bug that needs fixing, and updates are cure.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello Unclemac, and thanks - I'll check that.

Macbook today has gone back to not connected mode, so I've plugged in the Ethernet again, and it's fine.

So it did work for 12 hours plus, before failing, which makes the problem very strange once again.

I'll go and seek out firmware.

A.

a bit of delay checking back. Agree with the suggestions about deleting the wifi/airport interface and creating a new, and eventually manually ditching the preference files.

One other thing to try since this involves hardware, i.e. the Airport card, is zapping the pram (4 finger startup salute) and/or resetting the smc.

Thanks, guys, for all those ideas!

I shall work through them one by one, after having changed the Router from Admin & Password, which (unusually for me) they still are...

I'll report back when I've got some reporting to do.

A.

So, first tries.

Turned off Airport, sent the prefs to trash (the ones at ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/).

Turned Airport back on again, same as before. COULD see the right network (netgear99), but either got 'password invalid' or 'connection timeout'.

Turned off Airport again, went to ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ looking for prefs, but nothing there.

Did it again, went again, still nothing there.

Is this A Clue?

Went to trash, moved prefs back to right location, turned Airport on again, retried, same problem. Off again, on again, all the same, so stopping there temporarily in case that lack of new prefs was significant.

(Oh, Damien, I did try looking at TCP/IP. Under 'Ethernet', I get the router adds as 192 168 1 1, but if I move to Airport, then as Loon predicts, I get nothing. I get information from the router to the extent that it connects with Ethernet, and it does transmit its 'netgear99' network signal, as Airport picks up that signal. It just won't connect with its supplied password).

Back to you, while I go and investigate UncleMac's Wireless deleting procedure (I take it when you say 'Wireless' in that left-hand list, you mean 'Airport' in my case).

Allen.
    Last edited by billybobski; 06-09-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: don't know left from right...

Hi Allen,
    No, it's in the left hand list where you also see ethernet and bluetooth as well as, most likely firewire. Unlock the padlock if it's closed, select airport and then hit the - button. Then you can use the + button to add airport back in again. It will most likely offer to call it Airport 2... doesn't matter what it's called though.

Quote Originally Posted by billybobski View Post
    So, first tries.
    Turned off Airport again, went to ~Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ looking for prefs, but nothing there.
    Allen.
    I think the, com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    you actually want to trash is located at the system level:
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

The tilde (~) actually refers to your home directory.

Now if you managed to trash the correct one, and a new file is not getting created, then I might repair permissions in case the permissions are off on that folder.

Sorry, Eric, my mistake on the ~. I did actually point Allen to the correct location in the post though.

"I'd suggest you bin your preferences from the main library, not your user library and start it again."