Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New wireless router, can't 'see' 2 Macs...

JUST for the sake of perfect clarity (?), here is a screen shot of my hard drive. The Library I'm working on/from is the sixth item down, that is to say the one immediately beneath the 'iStumbler' application. (Okay, to be strictly accurate, the screen shot is from my iMac, BUT it's almost identical to the layout on the PowerBook - it's just easier to muck about with screen-shots/photoshop etc on my 'big' machine). I'm not using the one under System, nor the one under Users.

Currently it has
    com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
    inside its Preferences/SystemConfiguration, with today's date.

I haven't done the Wireless delete/reinstate yet - had to cook the dinner!

I shall get onto it in the morning (it's evening here in sunny London at present).

Thanks again for staying with it.

Allen.

That's the right one.

Hello again Macloon and the rest of you guys.

Further things to report.

I tried deleting Airport in Network preferences, making sure that the plist file also went in the bin, then reinstated it.

Still no go - rejected password each time it was tried, and looking at the TCP/IP tab, no router info.

Also, on the Network prefs it said "self assigned IP of xxx etc, so can't connect to the internet'. 60 seconds later, after I'd done nothing except curse a bit, the TCP/IP listing DID show router info, plus the 'correct' IP of 192 168 1 5.

But still the password was rejected. So again, I changed security to None, and rebooted the MacBook.

And it worked. For 60 seconds. Then dropped out again

So I'm going to put security back where it should be, i.e. ON (as my missus and I do use file sharing across the two Macs), and for now at least, go back to square one, i.e. with the iMac happily on Wireless, and the MacBook on Ethernet.

The fact that the system DOES work, albeit for only a minute or so, plus the fact that the router/iMac have worked, wirelessly, for a couple of weeks, is odd. Is it possible that the router doesn't like having TWO circuits running at the same time? Could I make use of the 'Guest Access' facility in the router, do you think? (According to the set-up leaflet, all you do for multiple devices is keep connecting them - no mention of any need for 'Guest' status - but it might be a daft workround).

Thanks again for staying interested for so long!

Allen.

Sounds like it could be router is wonky, or you could have an airport issue in the Mac that won't connect/stay connected.

The good news is, changing the router is easier and cheaper, and the most likely problem. It is new, so can you return it for a replacement or refund?

Oh, and I don't recall, does the Mac in question connect and behave on other wireless networks? Friends, coffee shop, etc.?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hello UncleMac.

Yes, agreed.

I've never tried the MacBook on friends' networks - that'll be a test of how much our neighbours trust us, won't it?

And it doesn't get taken out for walks, i.e. to coffee shops, net cafes, etc.

But I'll grab a neighbour and see if I can extract a password from him.

Allen.

I did suggest trying it elsewhere a few days ago as that will give you a definitive answer.
    The problem is very much looking like hardware: mac or router.
    I've had a number of issues with wifi, even with brand new iMacs, this year and they can be very difficult to solve without taking the machine into a different environment.
    Because of the way that radio waves work there can be thousands of things that interfere with them... including bed springs if the spacing happens to hit on half the frequency the radio wave is on!

Fair enough. Give me a day or so to sweet-talk a neighbour into typing in his password (his network is always on the list), and then I'll let you know how I get on.

A.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon View Post
    .... there can be thousands of things that interfere with them... including bed springs if the spacing happens to hit on half the frequency the radio wave is on!
    Yeah... my microwave is on a direct line between my sons Mini and the wifi device. He loses internet immediately anytime the microwave is on
    Damien,

Ditto on the Microwave thing. Used to use an Airport express for wireless music feed, but the microwave would kill the signal 100% - it sits between the AE and the router.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Ditto on the Microwave thing. Used to use an Airport express for wireless music feed, but the microwave would kill the signal 100% - it sits between the AE and the router.
    That probably explains why my WiFi signal mysteriously drops when I'm in the kitchen. I never lose it entirely, but the signal strength would oddly go in out. It's probably the microwave -- I shall check.

I think I also read somewhere that people sometimes have issues with WiFi on the portables if their iPhones and iPads are too close.

-------

This was mentioned before, but billybobski what channel are you using? At the outset you had it set to Auto, you might want to try manually selecting one. I'm pretty sure System Profiler in 10.6.x will show the various WiFi networks in range as well as the channels they're using.
    In System Profiler (or System Information in Lion), it's located under:
    - Network -> WiFi/Airport
    If you select that you should see all the available networks. But it appears you have iStumbler installed which is doing the same thing. Try different channels, particularly one not being used or that overlaps with one being used within range.

System profiler will only show the device and channel you're connected to, it won't show the channels of networks you COULD connect to. Using iStumbler that info is very easy to find and then work out which channel has enough clear space around it to use.
    I'm currently on 4 as I'm also surrounded by cyber litter and had major problems when three new wifis arrived locally last year. Downloading any sizeable files was a nightmare with all the dropouts.

System profiler will only show the device and channel you're connected to, it won't show the channels of networks you COULD connect to.
    I'm in Lion now, and Profiler/System Information shows channels and networks that I COULD connect if I wanted to, as well as signal/noise, mode, blah, blah, blah. If memory serves it was also that way in Snow Leopard.

In Profiler, I'm looking at:
    - Network
    --- Wifi
    Selecting just "Network" displays what I'm connected to. Selecting "WiFi" under "Network" shows my current connected network as well as available networks that I COULD. I see entries 5 at the moment, but they're actually only 2 other networks as there is some network extending going on -- I can see the individual devices as well as the MAC addresses, channels, blah, blah, blah.

I know iStumbler, but for the most part, I can do what I need to with Profiler.

If memory serves it was also that way in Snow Leopard.
    Nope. It only shows the one I'm connected to. It doesn't show any information on anything that I'm not connected to. Not in Network, locations, or airport. I'm not running Lion at the moment so I'll take your word for what happens there.

Nope. It only shows the one I'm connected to. It doesn't show any information on anything that I'm not connected to. Not in Network, locations, or airport. I'm not running Lion at the moment so I'll take your word for what happens there.
    You made me look in Snow Leopard. See the attachment, which is in 10.6.8, I can see other networks -- sorry I blacked out the names and Mac addresses. It's the same in Lion except Airport has changed to WiFi.

iStumbler is finding the same networks, nothing more nothing less.

Note that the other networks I see are ones that I have previously joined -- they're saved WiFi networks in my System Preferences. Given where I'm sitting right now, I can't be sure that System Profiler is showing only the networks that I've previously saved or all the ones within range (even if I haven't joined them). iStumbler shows me exactly the same list.

In mine it doesn't give me anything other than current, also 10.6.8. Others are showing up in the airport menu, but not in profiler. Previous networks only show up in locations.
    No idea why we should have a difference other than there may be a difference between US and UK versions of the OS.

Here's my screen grab:

Curiously my screen grab of the same info looks like MacLoon's, so there may be a UK/US difference.

Anyway, be that as it may, I ran iStumbler, and found local networks running on channels 5, 6 and 11, plus my one, which was on channel 1.

Just for the sake of it, I switched mine to channel 4, and - but don't hold your breath - both machines are currently connected Wirelessly (been about an hour now!).

Would other devices, like mice/keyboards which are wifi, affect the router's wireless? Anyway, just for now, all is working, so if that continues for the rest of the day, it might have been the cure.

Allen.

Hi Allen,
    Thanks for your info, makes me feel a little easier

Wifi devices: if they're Apple then they're bluetooth and there's no problem at all. Other wireless devices, like mice, do use 2.4ghz but are so low powered that they won't cause interference. They also channel hop to avoid other higher powered devices like WIFI routers etc. It would be more likely that the mouse would work badly rather than the other way around. They generally don't need to work at more than a few feet away from the receiver either so, basically, they don't. It wasn't until the advent of bluetooth that you could move further away from your computer.
    Fingers crossed for your airport holding up!

Thumbs up

Since you all are talkin' about finding networks and channels......check out Netspot. Really good, if you take the time to draw a map of the building perimeter. Free.

Well, it's been 2 days now on Channel 4, and all is still working fine.

Anyone want to offer a simple (i.e. one I might understand) explanation? I thought, you see, that by leaving the router set to 'auto channel', it would pick the best one.

Tell me it was the Router Fairy, and I'll be just as happy.

Allen.