Thread: HD repair needed

Default HD repair needed

Ug. Go figure, my wife's windows machine went belly up.

The Good: I correctly diagnosed the power supply as the problem

The Bad: when installing the PS, I did not realize that the auxilliary power connectors were keyed differently (but still fit !) and so I fried a new hard drive (ST31000524AS 1TB). [let this be a WARNING !]

%($*&(*#&(*&(@*&@&

I took off the controller board and found I had fried 2 SMT components near the power connector - the SMT do-jobbies that run from pins 10 and 12 (ground). Resistors ? Inductors ? capacitors ? I cant tell, even with a jewelers loupe - no writing on them.

See an example of just how bad my photo skills are, courtesy of an iPhone camera and the jewelers loupe. You get the idea.

If I can find out what there are, I can do the SMT rework (I dont think I fried the pads). Otherwise, I am in the market for a controller board for a ST31000524AS 1TB. Does anyone sell those ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

I would bet you would be best off finding a board.... problem is, only way I know to do that is find a bad drive. That particular drive is the older 7200.12 model, and carries usually a 2 year warranty. Wonder if any of the drive recovery outfits would have one?

Alternatively, if still in warranty, why not send it in for replacement?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default hard drive blues

We want the data off it, so I dont really want to send it back. Also, this as kind of my fault, so I would feel kind of bad trying for a replacement.

I was hoping you guys might have a good idea as to whether or not Seagate sold these through retailers (fit of wishful thinking).

At the moment I am looking for a dead drive, and barring that will buy a used, but working one to swap the boards.

The real moral of the story is...(at least in PC land)...just because the connector key fits doesnt mean you should use it....

thanks,

Mad Dog

Personally, I wouldn't feel so bad about warranty for it. Seagate sells its share of crap and lets us be the quality control testers.

Getting the data off is another thing entirely. I would think that finding another drive would not be all that hard, to get the board off it. I don't think you will ever get a board out of Seagate - although checking with a data recovery service to see if any of them have source for one would be about the only way to find out.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default data recovery service

Thanks for the tip. I will ask around a couple data recovery services.

thanks,

Mad Dog