Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Newest or next iMac rumors

Default Newest or next iMac rumors

When might the next iMac release be? I keep getting the itch but keep trying to hold off.

Best guess: 3-6 weeks out. Could be longer, but much past June seems unlikely unless something unexpected happens in the supply chain, with Intel, etc.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I really would like a SSD in my next iMac -Ouch- Maybe not.

I also wonder since I don't use any CPU heavy applications how much hands on difference I'd see between an i5 or i7 CPU? I know the SSD would really quicken the opening/closing of various apps/data.

Just talking out loud here. August or September sounds like a great time to fix the new computer itch. Then what to do with my 2.66 C2D iMac

One last question... is there a way to sort Geekbench results to show only 1 type of machine? All the iMacs or all the mini's etc. ?

You just need to resign yourself to be surrounded by Macs - like on a space shuttle.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You just need to resign yourself to be surrounded by Macs - like on a space shuttle.
    lol A few years back I was G4's and G3's everywhere. Still have a tray loading G?/400 and my dual G4 Giga is just sitting here. They both run but need minor work.

But the work just does not justify itself as they would still be to buggy and slow. Keeping the old iMac as a second would be nice when needed. Then again selling it for $500 buys a big chunk of a new iMac. It's been just over 3 years. I'm due.

I do think a 256 GB SSD could keep me moving a long time. Much, much more than I need now. But so is the CPU. I'm going to keep dragging my feet looking for the right time.

When I read this about the speed of the 2011 iMac i7 w/SSD, I made up my mind. Mid-life crisis or not, I decided to get the best and fastest iMac. I guess just knowing that it was the top dog makes me completely satisfied with my choice. There's no thinking: I could have had, or I could have saved.

I can't even guess what kind of changes that the new ones will have in them. Faster CPU, maybe. But patients is an excellent virtue, and once you see what's new it maybe that a refurbished 2011 iMac i7 w/SSD will be a great buy or I'll begin the process of lusting after a newer, faster iMac.

Anyone know how long a mid-life crisis lasts?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    Until you start getting a senior citizen discount.
    Damien,

Thumbs up I'm going to buy big this next buy too - SSD and fast

I have less then 100 GB of OS Apps and my data. I'm going to get a 256 SSD. I'd be silly not to since I don't need much space and thats my choke point now. I'll see what's out there for processors when I do it. I expect before this years end. Birthday's in September

Trying to decide weather to keep this iMac, sell it or probably just give it to a niece or nephew with the rights to borrow back if need.

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post

Until you run out of money.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Until you run out of money.
    Its come and gone then as I'm out of money... I've got nuffing to really show for it... It's overrated. I'll just keep on spending what little I have...

yea the senior discount thing, one of those on and off kinda things still, mostly off.

But the money thing, heck I was done with that before I even started.

Default I'm buying mid September - Bigger screen is main reason

Well I am very much considering the trade in route with Powermax. Unless there's a good reason to hold off.They gave me a quote of $625 for my C2D 2.66GHz. They sell the iMacs 11 bucks under Apple. Not sure about free shipping. The Apple store or refurb route would leave me with 2 computers...not really needed.

I figure a 21.5" as the 27"' seems just to big. and $$$'s A 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 4GB, 1TB Drive. $1,500 - $600 = $900 about.

I'm torn between an i5 or i7 - I think the 2.7 i5 quad-core should do me good. I really don't demand much CPU - Running mostly the canned Apple apps and some basic 3rd party apps.

I'm also adding up a 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 8GB, 1TB + 256GB Solid State Drive. $2,400 - $600 = $1,800. Damn, I just really would never use 1/2 of it. Sure sounds fun.

Comments, suggestions, reminders

Just bought a 21 with 6GB for the fam with the i5. Crazy fast for general computing, slowest part of it is the HD for sure. At some point I will crack it open and add an SSD....

Keep in mind the iMacs are now way overdue for a refresh, hard to know what will change. Still guessing a case redesign, no optical Drive, etc. Will only boot 10.8 too. New chipset will likely be 10-20% faster at the same clock speed, and run cooler, like the latest laptops.

When? Who knows? After the next iPhone in Sept, or before? Not much after the phone, or they risk getting into the Christmas season, and Apple does not mess around like that. Not too soon after Christmas, that just pisses people off.

So.....soon (by mid Oct?) or late Feb. I think sooner then later........but heck, I thought July 1 at the latest.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Thanks,

Yes, I'd get more out of a SSD than an i7 for my use I think. I keep thinking the SSD will be a down the road upgrade. I should just go for the SSD plus 1TB sounds fun.

I kind of like the CD/DVD and like booting older software. So now might be a good move. My trade-in value's only going to fall. Last I bought this iMac a few months later the 21.5's came out.

After further reading the i7's sweet but really only need the i5.

Never know what changes might be next. I'll see how Powermac prices and talks with me. Any tips.

Question Question

Do the current model iMac's have a "space" to add an internal SSD later so you can keep both inside?

OR, is the HD and SSD only a BTO item?

Question Question 2

What if anything is different internally in either of these two stock iMac's. I see...

One is a 2.7GHz Quad Core the other a 2.5GHz Quad Core both i5's. So is .2GHz worth $300
    One has a TB hard drive the other a 500GB - 500's plenty

Will or can they both take a SSD down the road? Or just the 2.7GHz version. Apple store Page

Besides what you mentioned, the video card is a beefier model, with twice the RAM. Probably never notice any difference except with 3D or gaming.

Yes, you can sneak a 2.5 SSD in the 21:

http://youtu.be/RmLLzkg3vI0

If Apple would have simply put the SATA cable on......would be much easier!

Oh, and you can pull the optical drive and replace it with an SSD, and save having to pull the logic board.

Question Wait... I read this

Both have 4GB RAM.
    The graphics card is different but both are 512MB

Doh!

You are correct. Sorry, thinking of the 27" options. So yes, CPU clock, HD size, and model video card.

Looking at the video card benchmarks, it looks like the primary difference is clock speed of the GPU, and that the 6770 is about 7-10% faster in benchmarks than the 6750. Every little bit helps in 3D gaming....but not as big a difference as I would have expected.