Thread: scanners... ugh

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default scanners... ugh

I know I know, I am usually the first one to preach the 'disposable scanner go buy a new one' line... but

I don't want a scanner I want a copier. Don't want to buy one. So I have this scanner (Lex X83 all in one USB) I refuse to buy carts for it because they are chipped to expire in a few months and I would be buying carts for one copy and then have to buy them again for the next copy. I have a fine color laser printer. I would like to use this scanner portion only to scan and send to my printer. Having trouble finding drivers. The System Info App shows and correctly identifies the X83 on the USB device tree.

These are the sources that DON'T support this scanner anymore

Lexmark - drivers available up to OS 10.3 and installers are in legacy code and won't run

Vuescan - no support for this model but does support Lexmark

Silverfast - no support for ANY Lexmark device that I could see

Twain-Sane - support for Lex but not this device. The Twain-Sane framework is working fine.... If I knew enough to write a config file it might work...

(I think I'm screwed on this one..)

Should I take my own advice or is there any alternative I might have missed?

Thanks all
    Damien,

What are the "carts"?

Have you checked system pref + printer? Is there a scan option there?

That's a wicked looking new picture.

He's saying won't buy ink for it. Lexmark ink use and prices suck.

Damien, time to pony up baby. New scanner for you.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

carts = inkjet cartridges

sorry

I may have this worked out in a totally new way for what little need I have of a copy machine, a friend suggested I take a pic with my iPhone of whatever documents I want a copy of, and print from iPhone to printer. This is working via an app called Printopia. Right now though it's working, the color is dark/weird. Also it's printing a pic it might be just fine printing an actual word doc.

still working the details...
    Damien,

Rick and I are on the same page here. You know the drill. Buy some computer item and you know that in a few years it will be outdated. Planned obsolescence.

Unless the iPhone is a 4s I would guess that the copies you get from that are not stellar. Then there is the whole angle thing. I've tried and always resort to my Digital camera in document mode, but only for something I can't scan.

I've got a HP all-in-one last year and it works great.

I tested it on a document from the iPhone and it works great. Printopia seems like a great app. it's from Ecamm and I like them anyway so I am not surprised.

Printing a pic though, involves lighting and camera angle and I have not yet achieved the quality I want.

Like Rick said, I will probably end up with a cheap all-in-one. I just hate giving any money for an inkjet product and I refuse to buy replacement cartridges! So the scanner portion better work when the cartridges quit....
    Damien,

I got my old HP 7210 all-in-one, year of the big flood (of my office). Never had a problem with it, it moved with the 24" 3.06 iMac, to the better halves studio. When I got the new iMac I couldn't let the $100 rebate go unused and got the Photosmart Prem C410. Of course they don't make them one year later, but the eprint is sweet. iPad, iPhone, they all work with it. The sheet feed for faxing and scanning, nice too. HP does keep the software up to date with Mac OS. And they seem to last forever. I actually "recycled" (good for $50) an old HP 520 from +/- 1993. I had 2, thought one would be a good backup. But I almost never print from the MacIIci anymore.

That said, the cost is not so much with the unit as it is with the carts, I agree.