Thread: Dead Video card

Default Dead Video card

Came home last night and my G4 with a 1.6 gig Processor wouldn't wake from sleep. I turned off the monitor and restarted it and got the no video warning on the monitor. I tried a restart of the Mac and got no video. This was a flashed PC card I bought off eBay about 4 years ago, so I got out the old 32 meg card that came with the mac and put it in there. I had to change the monitor cable back to VGA for this old card but after it was all hooked up it booted just fine. Ran for about 10 minutes and the screen froze up. I tried a force quit but that didn't work. So I restarted the Mac and once again got the no video message. Anyone think over heating could have blown the card? It was hot in the room and the first time that Mac has run in that much heat with the G4 processor upgrade installed. I have another video card I took out of another G4 I had at work but wonder if that too will die if I put it in there. Any way to check these things out?

I'm surprised that sleep worked for you. My old DA w/ 1.6 dual gigadesigns would not work with sleep at all. I would just turn the power off the the display. I also had many problems with too much heat. I had many crashes on a regular basis and so my answer was to just open the side door to cool it. It worked, just got dusty sooner.

Sorry I'm not giving you the perfect answer to clears up your problem, but if it's too hot, cool it.

Well looks like I'm gonna just get a different Mac. Been dumping money into this thing for years now, upgraded DVD, upgraded Ram, PCI SAT card with Raptor drive, Extra 30 gig storage drive, and also a 5 port USB 2 card. Even with all that it can't go past Leopard anyway. I may just run it as a headless server until I find another video card to try for cheap...