Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Temperamental PowerMac 7500

I had a Tempo Trio card in my beige Macs. It never caused any audio problems, but then it's a "slow" card since it has three different busses on it. It's plenty fast enough to feed the main bus on a 7500 though.

Odd that the A-card utility won't recognize the Sonnet as I believe that's who made 'em. Since the card shows up as SCSI in 9 you might try another utility. I believe there were a couple from Initio, and ATTO that might work. Worth a shot anyway.

Meh the machine died this morning.. It refuses to boot with any PCI video card right now.

With the PCI video card pulled and only onboard installed, it boots up. I swapped the logic board with another I had in a bin, same exact situation. So I stripped it down to the bare stuff..

Seems like the PSU isn't handling the load anymore.. 150 watts isn't much..

I forgot to mention I tried the video cards on my beige g3 and they are perfectly time.

Yeah could be time to put the 7500 out to pasture.

In gonna try and replace the psu but only once. If it still fails the machine is getting a burial.

I had this Mac since it was new.

Thumbs up Good Luck

You got some great use out of it. Most of us here move on to faster before wearing one out. I built my 7500 into a G3/450 10,000 rpm Cheetah on a MilesU2W SSCI it seemed so fast back then. Then a QS to a Dual Giga another sweet machine...

But my Intel 2.66 GHz C2D iMac really has been and trouble free. It's tough not wanting a new i5 or i7 and which ever way I eventually go I've decided to get a SSD.

I already have the newer stuff though, I really want to have a Mac OS 9 setup though as it's what my copy of Unreal Tournament requires.

I've got the newer version of Unreal it's been a while but fun. We did have our own game server a while back. Look for a tower G4 Quicksilvers, a MDD's even DA. I have a DA with a Dual 1.6 sitting here.

Theres more to it than a CPU.

I had a 3dfx 5500 in my 9600 until the magic smoke escaped one day. That card rocked with UT. It has a single chip 3dfx card in it now. I miss playing in Glide with full anti-aliasing.

Playing UT on my dual 1.6 G4 doesn't look quite as good, but the game play is so fast & smooth it's kind of ridiculous.

I have a 9200 in my G3. The ZIF is clocked to 466. UT plays real nice on that machine too. Both the G4 & G3 have a custom driver to run UT in Open GL. I believe I got it from Damien as a matter of fact...

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Been a LONG time since I wrote a UT .ini file.... I still have a working Voodoo5 5500 though. If I ever get a decent OS 9 box that's going in there
    Damien,

Ordered a psu on eBay.

Hope it fixes it.

Ok, got a new power supply, and guess what, it STILL won't boot. Pull the Radeon 9200, and it boots every time now, WITH the new PSU, but still intermittent with the old PSU.

I'm at a loss, cause this card DID work fine on this Mac, and still does work, on my Beige G3 without issues.

Guess I'm moving to a Beige G3.

Ugh, now my G3 is dead. Wtf! All my old Macs are officially dead!

mac mini time

But you needed OS 9.x

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    mac mini time

But you needed OS 9.x
    I already have a modern Mac.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMG_0278.jpg

I just want OS 9, but want it fast too.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

what slot is the radeon in and do you have a scsi card? a SCSI card has to go in slot one in all old beige macs. the vid card usually went in three. slot one is closest to the processor
    Damien,

I didn't want to let go of the old software I used to use so I bought a Mac IIci a number of years ago, only $35. I have it set up in a closet along with a QS G4 dual 1Ghtz, that I got last year for less than $200. It runs OS9 & 10.4.

If you want an OS9 machine now is the time to get one. Looks like the QS models are slowly becoming hard to find. Then again if you want a upgraded DA w/ a gigadesigns dual 1.6, I've got one of those in the closet too. Very zippy, but requires the access door be open, get a little warm in there.

Cool

I have a G4 DA ..... GiGADESIGN Dual 1.3 .... 1.5 GB ram .... plus a faster case fan that throws more air..... 10k rpm Seagate SCSI HD with ULD 4 PCI card or ATA with Sonnet ATA PCI card ..... both have os 9.2.2 and 10.4.11 installed on them ...... two separate partitions .... Email me, I'll make an offer you can't refuse!

You would probable want the SCSI set-up for UT.
    thanks, h