Thread: PowerBook G-3.. OS 9.1

Default PowerBook G-3.. OS 9.1

I am hoping that there are a few older (OS 9.1) guy's to help me work out this problem.

I have a few old Newton's lying around collecting dust. I got them up and running but need to install "packages" on them using the Newton Connection Kit.

I can get the packages on to my Powerbook G-3 running OS 9.1. The problem is that they go from my PowerBook Pro running 10.6.8, to my PowerBook G-3 and once on the G3 they have generic icons and the Newton Connection Kit is unable to "see" them as Newton packages.

I rebuilt the desktop using Conflict Catcher but no luck on the packages becoming anything but generic.

What I need is a way to change the type and creator so the Newton Connection Kit can see them. Or some other way to get the packages onto the Newton.

I know it can be done using OS X but that involves buying a USB to Mini-Serial 8 pin connector and I don't have one of those.

Any help would be appreciated..... And if this is the wrong spot to ask these type of questions, please point me in the direction of where it should be.

Thanks in advance............

Any way to burn them to CD on the MacBookPro and then mounting the CD on the G3?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I did try that but when I inserted the CD into the G3 it read it as being necessary to "Initialize" the CD.

Does anyone know where I can download OS 9.2. That may help?

Interesting. Haven't searched for that in a long time. Found the Vintage Software page at Apple, has a lot of Newton stuff at the bottom but ends at OS 8.1.

Searching Apple came up with nothing when looking for OS9. However, Google located this page at Apple to download 9.2.1 updater.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I was able to find a copy of ResEdit. The only problem with that is when I try to open the Newton .pkg, Resedit tells me that file does not have a resource fork. When you hit the OK button it gives you a long list of forks to add to the file. The only problem is I don't know which fork to pick.

After some research I discovered that Newton Packages do not have a resource fork. But changing the type and creator using ResEdit will change it even tho it still appears as a generic icon.

Who knew..... I got it to work so I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaron View Post
    After some research I discovered that Newton Packages do not have a resource fork. But changing the type and creator using ResEdit will change it even tho it still appears as a generic icon.

Who knew..... I got it to work so I am happy.

Now that is kewl.

In the end, none of us know how this all works M a g i c
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin