Thread: Pass Word Folder

Default Pass Word Folder

I have been allowing my grandchildren to go on the internet with my log in because parental control settings are not saved for their log-ins. I looked at apple forums for a fix but found none. According to History, I see visits to sites they have been told NOT to go to.
    (When I was their age, if I was specifically told NO that is the first thing I tried to get away with so they come by it naturally.) There's always my mother's way: if not one admits guilt, we all got punished.
    Any ideas OS: 10.6.8
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier:MacBook7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB

Thanks

Not sure I follow that part about parental controls not working.

The easiest way to limit internet access is typically to give them an account with parental controls on, and lock it down. Only give them access to Safari (not other browsers you may have) and then build them a white list.

Biggest limitation is that with a white list, you have to add every site they can go to.....a big pain, and never ending.

The only other way I know to make the web safe(er):

BumperCar
    KidZui

Probably others too.

Beyond that, you can use a Web content filtering service, but you may not want that for all computers all the time. Some routers come with it now (usually a paid optional service), or you sign up for one.

Regardless......strongly consider not letting kids on your account. Besides their exposure to the web, they could destroy your data. Accidentally, or otherwise.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Thank You

I redid their accounts and added parental control settings. I don't think I did anything different than before but I must have been going astray somewhere.
    I can log into their accounts and they only have access to the sites I have added.
    YOU'RE CORRECT. I think it will tank a while to add "permitted" sites.
    Another thing did was set my MacBook to where my log-in is not automatic.

Again,

Thanks

That was supposed to read "Take" not "tank"

Glad you got it rolling. White lists are cool if you can build a decent list and go with it. I like it cause kids get bored with the same twenty something sites and go play outside eventually.

Oh, and I usually don't use a PW for kid accounts. Nothing to remember to log in.....and it won't help you anyway once logged in.

Don't forget to check out time limits and schedule limits. Helpful for kids that are like you and I were....pushing the limits.
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin