Thread: UL5D LP card, OS X 10.6.8 and scanners

Default UL5D LP card, OS X 10.6.8 and scanners

Hello all,

I have a Mac Pro 2.1 computer, running OS X 10.6.8, 4GB RAM. I would like some tips on how to successfully connect up some scanners that I have. I'm not having much luck. I have a UL5D LP card with the latest driver and flash bundle. I only want to connect each scanner individually, not as a Daisy chain.

I have 4 SCSI scanners as follows :
    UMAX PowreLook II
    UMAX PowreLook III
    Heidelberg Linoscan 1400
    Agfa Arcus 1200

The only one I can get to be recognised is the Arcus 1200.

Each of these have the same 2 SCSI connectors. A 50 pin Centronics and a DB 25. I am connecting using a VHDCI to 50 pin Centronics cable with a passive DB 25 terminator.

I am using the same cable and terminator for all scanners, yet only the Arcus 1200 is recognised. I have tried connecting and reconnecting each scanner a few times with out luck. No matter what i do, I can't get the other three to be recognised. Whilst i have not actually tested them on another computer, there is no doubt in my mind that the other scanners are fine. There is nothing wrong with them. They are not damaged in any way. They should be working just like the Arcus 1200.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

The most important part, after getting the SCSI card running, is drivers. Scanners are notorious for being invisible unless the proper driver is running. Are you using VueScan or Silverfast or something like that?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

The most important question to ask is are these scanners easily replaceable by a new cheap USB/firewire scanner?

If you have specialty scanners (Hi def or slide or large format etc) then the headaches you are trying to bring onto yourself might be worth it. But if these scanners are eclipsed by something new and cheap that uses USB/Firewire then you really want to take these old scsi scanners to goodwill.

If you absolutely have to have one of these working and it is being reluctant to work with your rig, seriously consider buying an old Mac with onboard scsi. Run it as a scanner-server only. The reason is that old scsi scanners that were consumer grade never bothered to update their scsi manager support, they used scsi manager 3 or earlier. Scsi manager 4.3 came out and became the standard. All Macs onboard scsi used 4.3 but was backwards compatible with previous versions. The trouble with new scsi cards is that they support back to scsi manager 4.3 but no older than that. Vuescan and Silverfast can sometimes work around this with various levels of success from 100% on down.
    Damien,

Thanks for your response.

Rick, I'm using Vuescan.

Damien, I think the UL5D is backwards compatible with the older SCSI manager. Otherwise I don't think I could even get the Arcus 1200 to run.

I read on the internet that Heidelberg bought some scanners from Umax, stripped out the bits they didn't like and replaced them with higher quality components, and of course re badged them. This makes sense in terms of the problems I'm having since I assume the Umax and Heidelberg scanners share the same SCSI circuitry. This would explain why they are both having problems connecting. whereas the Agfa does not.

I'm hoping it is something as simple as swapping an active terminator instead of the passive one that I'm using. I've ordered one on line and I'll try it when it arrives. Or that Atto tech support can help.

It's still early days in my little fight. The PowerLook III and the Linoscan 1400 are not in any way consumer scanners. The Linoscan was $4000 AUD new, and was the Pro choice scanner back in the day. I bought it brand new and have done maybe 10 scans.

Thanks
    Paul

It has been a few years, but I remember having issues with a couple Umax scanners where the only way I could get them to work was to change their ID. At the time I figured it was that the rotary switch was connecting poorly and that selecting a different number got it working again.

The active termination can help. Again, faulty memory, but some scanners did not supply termination power. If the active terminator you ordered has a power LED that will tell you whether the terminator is getting power or not. If I remember right you can also enable terminator power from the UL5D.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick and Damien,

thanks to both of you for your help.

I've managed to get it all working. A few things :

1. I think the cable I was using was faulty, or something. Once I swapped it, things improved. It seemed to affect the termination. The APS SCSI Sentry terminator is quite handy in this respect since the LED light gives you an instant feedback on what works and what doesn't.

2. I also noticed that the card doesn't seem to like the terminator on its own connector. Once I connected the terminator in line with the SCSI cable ( the APS SCSI Sentry allows me do this), things improved. The other connector on the scanner was left unused.

3.Also, once I changed some NVRAM settings on the card (mainly the sync rate) I got it all to work.

There's a few other minor things, but these are the main ones.

Thanks again.

Hello All,

I just registered to this forum after doing a search for the exact same topic on Google about using a Heidelberg 1400 scanner on a Mac Pro 10.10.5.

Paul P, I realize that this is an old thread, and I hope that you're still around,... Can you supply me with all the info that you had that enabled you to get your Heidelberg 1400 to work on your Mac.

Many thanks,

Jay
    aka scratchy

I doubt you get Paul to answer. He has not been active here since his original post.

I also see no reason it you have drivers for Yosemite that you can't just set up a Heidelberg to a UL5D. Like the original poster you may need to play with termination and SCSI ID, but with decent quality SCSI cabling and components it will work. Again, you must have an appropriate driver or it is a waste of money.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick.

I have the driver software from the initial purchase of the scanner. I'll see if there is an update version from Heidelberg if this current version doesn't work.

Thanks again for your response,

Jay