Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unbelievably Boneheaded Stupid thing

Over the last few years I've had to recover a lot of drives, mainly from dying or 'dead' ones so had to invest in the software to do the job - at least I get paid, even if nowhere near enough for the time spent, but better that than hand it over to data recovery companies that never keep to the initial quote. Somehow it always seems to be double the original price after they find that it was 'more difficult' than they expected!
    Good luck with it, whichever software you decide to buy.
    Oh bu**er! Just had Techtool pop up and give me a SMART warning about the 1TB Samsung i've got in my MBP!!!
    I seriously hope it's a false alarm as I REALLY don't want to go there right now! It's bad enough doing a back up without having to do an erase and restore
    Drive is under warranty, but the thought of the disruption is a potent cause for instantaneous depression!

Those both sound like good suggestions. I've had the seritek card for a LONG time now, it has worked great, but I have NEVER updated the firmware on it (the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it routine"). And partly the reason for that is that my boot volume is connected to it (I understand that you have to disconnect all drives from the card before you update it, at least, that's what I remember).

Yeah, I can clone the users volume to a new HD, then I can pull the old users vol out and can work with it in my Burly enclosure, taking time to recover files.

I will try Disk Drill. File Salvage looked interesting too, but I'm not running OS 10.5 right now. Still stuck on 10.4.11 (again, the old "IIABDFI" routine......)

File Salvage is good and it lets you choose a range file types to recover as well. Like most of the good programs though you do need to throw some money at it to get it to work beyond a demo.

Judging by the "geeky" interface of R-studio, I'd be in favor of ease of use at this point. The problem for me is, is it worth it to upgrade to 10.5 for that?

Upgrading to 10.5 AND doing file recovery at the same time (to me anyway) doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.

OTOH, I do have a spare 10k Raptor laying around that I could make into a boot drive....... I could look into that....... but then again, having two different boot drives (one for 10.4 and one for 10.5) might not actually be a very good idea afterall.

P.S. - But as long as I've raised this possibility..... is having a separate users vol in 10.5 just as simple as it is in 10.4? I assume there's an (ancient?) thread here about this somewhere?

Use it to get the job done and then forget about it if you don't want to use it... or erase it if it bothers you.

P.S. - But as long as I've raised this possibility..... is having a separate users vol in 10.5 just as simple as it is in 10.4? I assume there's an (ancient?) thread here about this somewhere?
    Yes very much the same. You should be good to have this setup if you want.

Default Three Crashes in a row now

I don't know what's going on. It's just getting worse and worse now.

I ran out to the local "Big Box" retailer to get an internal HD. Seagate Barracuda 2 TB. It said on the box it was for a minimum of a G5 Mac, but got it anyway cuz they said I could take it back if need be (I'd prefer to buy from here, but I need to get back to work ASAP).

Anyway, wiped the drive with zeroes. So far so good. That took all night and half the day.

Started cloning the vol with Super Duper. It got as far as 16 or 17 GB, and when I came back, the screen was black, would not wake up. Had to do a hard restart. AGAIN. This time I ran Apple Jack.... figured I had no choice.

Started clone AGAIN. I came back AGAIN, same thing. Screen frozen black after about 17 GB cloned (out of like 350 GB to go). So, both times, I've no idea what caused it.

Guess I'll start at the beginning and wipe the sucker AGAIN. This is really getting old. And yes, boy do I feel stupid.

The problem with failing drives is that it can take days to get everything off. Right now, if I were you, I would concentrate on getting unique data off and don't bother with a clone. If cloning isn't working, don't push it. You can always recreate your user - presumably you've got a backup anyway, so all you need is the latest stuff that isn't backed up.

Just so you don't feel that you're on your own, I'm currently updating my backup, spreading movies and tv shows over two drives and then I've got to wipe my Samsung 1TB (in my Macbook Pro), send it off for a replacement, put back in the 500gb drive it replaced, update that so I can work again. Then, when the replacement comes back, do a clean install and bring everything back in again!
    Oh what joy! But at least I've got everything safe. All my important stuff is backed up on Dropbox AND Sugarsync as well... maybe you should look at doing that for your day to day work? Sugarsync in particular is very easy to use as your folders can remain where they are. With Dropbox you've got to either duplicate the folders or work out of the Dropbox folder, which I don't like doing.

So, looks like I've got a completely unproductive day coming up!

Well, part of the problem was that, up until Thursday when I pulled my cute little stunt, I actually DID have a rock solid system (just a tad on the slow side, is all). The users volume is a 1TB Seagate purchased from the Gurus about a year ago, and has shown no signs of failing..... as far as I know.

I'm thinking of this point of just cutting my losses and moving on. The users volume HAD been solid up to now, no reason to think otherwise going into the future. That would allow me to return the other HD I purchased back to the store and get my money back.

There are a few files I would dearly LOVE to get back, and I either know their filename, or at least some keywords in the filename that maybe would narrow down the search....... from some 40 hours to...... what, though?

The other curious thing is that I've basically NEVER had a problem with Super Duper, so that makes me wonder about the Seagate HD I purchased the other day that claimed it was only compatible with G5 or newer.... maybe that's the problem I'm having?

I remember something ages ago about issues with SATA I (which is what I have) and Native Command Queing (NCQ). Maybe that is something I should look into before I try one last time to clone the current users volume to a new HD?

Have you run Disk Warrior, Drive Genius, Or Techtool on it? Is there a system on the drive or is it purely users?

Default Help! Again!

So.....

Just out of curiosity, I opened the scanning log from R-studio (the one that it was almost complete.... about 100 GB to go.... and by then should have been WELL into the free space....)

And it looks like there are a bunch of files I can recover..... but nothing appears to have file names or modification dates or anything...... just random numbers for the file name, along with the extension and a size in Bytes.

I know that two of the files I'm looking for are WAV files around 600 to 650MB in size.... so that might help me narrow it down to see if what I need is actually there or not.

But now I'm left with the dilemma of having to fork out $79 to see what it can recover for me blindly..... without knowing what it is I'm recovering, or even if it will be usable at this point.

Disk Drill is, unfortunately, only for 10.5........ and when I checked on ebay, retail versions of OS 10.5 start around 80, 90, 100 bucks...... and go up from there. For another hundred on top of that, I could purchase a used G5 with OS 10.5 already installed on it...... (big, long sigh)

So, just feeling stuck again. Wishing I could just clone my users volume and move on, and/or I have to fork over 80 bucks to see what R-studio was able to recover for me.

It'd be nice to upgrade to OS 10.5, clone the users volume, and take my time doing recovery, but that doesn't really look like a viable option either at this point, given what I've been through.

I swear.....

P.S. - the biggest WAV file that R-studio found is 210904064 Bytes in size. Assuming 1,024,000 Bytes = 1 MB, that would make that file around 206MB -- or, about a third of what I'm looking for? Did I get that math right?
    Last edited by Boyd 9; 03-18-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added more specific details

Don't you know anyone else with a mac?
    Clone someone else's boot drive!

Default Jumpering

I think the new HD needed a jumper to limit the data/transfer speeds to SATA I standards. I now remember something in the deep recesses of my brain about this.

Trying the clone again. Hopefully I've got the darn jumper on there right way 'round..... is it just me, or are they making them smaller and smaller now? (LOL).

P.S. - by "right way 'round" I mean with the solid thin wire facing outwards (that seemed to be the way it wanted to go on).

SATA 3.0 drives normally have a jumper already fitted to choke it to 1.5. Did yours' not have one on when you bought it?

I do not believe that Seagate is shipping with the jumper installed any longer. We have to add them to orders for those installing in G5s and MacPro1,1

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yeah, the jumper came with it, had to install it. After dropping it once (thank god on light colored carpeting) I put it on no problem.

Is this why the box says (on the outside) that the drives are only compatible with G5 and up?

Anyway, it was interesting to see that the copy speeds in Super Duper actually went UP with the jumper installed.

Unfortunately, when I came back to the clone this morning, something froze up after copying 275 GB out 375 GB, the screen was black, and my Mac was repeatedly beeping (beep beep beep beep beep beep out of the speakers).

Once again, I had to hard restart, run Applejack, and am now trying to finish off the clone ONCE AGAIN.

My question is this - will I actually have a reliable clone to work with as my new users volume knowing that it crashed part way through?

As a precaution, will not be erasing the volume it is replacing any time soon.

P.S. The poor fan in my Burly Hot Swap is really giving up the ghost. Anyway to replace that little sucker?

In reverse order:

Any fan can be replaced, just need to identify which one. I would not put up with a noisy one for long!

Open the Burly up, clean it out really good with compressed air (never use a vacuum as they create static). Then with the drives out and the cover off, power it up and test each fan by momentarily stopping each one with a pencil erasure to determine which is making noise. Let me know and I will point out a replacement part or set you up if still in warranty.

Seagate box says G5 and up because only G5 and up used SATA drives. Everything before that was ATA drives.

When making a clone, you can keep coming back, even after a crash, and the clone application (if a good one) will make a new comparison of the two drives and continue again where it left off at the crash. Keep doing that until it completes and you are pretty set. If the index is damaged this is where Disk Warrior comes in. If the data is damaged on the original drive then it will not be fixed by copying it to a clone.

I had a neighbor with an old Macbook with a dying drive. The drive would spin for about 40 minutes after freezing (literally - put in freezer). Neighbor was in a panic, so I copied the data off by freezing the whole MacBook, firing it up and running SyncProX. It would copy until the drive stopped spinning, then I would freeze the MB again and restart the process. Took three times but got all his data. Did not even need to repair it. Just swapped out the drive when a new one arrived and copied it back.

No one can answer the question of whether the data will be corrupted or damaged by the events leading up to this. You take what you get and do what needs doing to move forward.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Users successfully cloned

So, first the good news.... I got the users vol successfully cloned (as far as I know). I ran the cloning sequence like 4 times in a row to make sure it got everything, and hopefully it did.

I took apart the Burly, and there was some dust. I got some compressed air from Radio Shack, and cleaned the fans really good. Based on the fact that the tiny fans spin just fine (and the big one didn't), I'm pretty sure it's the big one that's failing. I will do the pencil test you spoke of.

So..... the only problem now, is that when I insert a drive into the TOP slot of the Burly, I either get a spinning beach ball or it hangs up. Insert the same drive in the lower bay, and no problems.

I'm hoping that all I did was dislodge some dust or something, and that the contacts in Bay 1 just need to be cleaned.

I would really like to have an extended period of no problems for a while.

In the meantime, at least I can get back to work with the users vol cloned to a new HD.

Does anybody know of a good place (besides ebay) to look for cheap copies of OS 10.5?

Thanks