Thread: I hate it when...

Default I hate it when...

... I get a Macbook/Pro in after water/wine/coffee spillage.
    always on a hiding to nothing.
    Well, the one that came in yesterday was one of the few that makes the effort worthwhile.
    I took the logic board out of an 18 month old 13" MBP, cleaned out the red wine, washed off the logic board with isopropyl, dried it all off, reassembled an hour later and, without the DVD or hard drive in booted it.
    Up it came!
    Put the drives back in and rebooted. Everything fine. So, I tested it, made sure everything was okay and phone the customer. Told him I wanted to keep it overnight and run some more tests, which I did this morning.
    Finished the tests with Techtool, off the DVD, and... no screen lighting up, but could hear the boot continuing in the background.
    Plugged it into an external monitor, worked but graphics were slow and jerky.
    I took the logic board out again, checked all of the connections, screen came back on, but graphics still hesitant.
    Ran it in safe boot, no problem with graphics - as to be expected.
    Booted it again normally, screen dead, but external still working with hesitant graphics.
    Booted in 10.6.8 and 10.7.3, always the same.
    So, after all that work and so close to success, the logic board is still $%^&*@!
    Don't you just hate it when that happens? And how can I charge the customer? Other than for putting his drive in an external box!

Hate that!

What I recommed.....

1. Always warn customer that many times liquid = dead. Set low expectations.
    2. Charge for diagnosis, cleaning, and testing. Figure about an hours worth of paid work. Be sure they understand it costs your time (time = money) to investigate.
    3. Even with apparent success, always warn that with liquid damage, there's no way to know how long the board will last. Usually the life span is reduced. Could be days, weeks, months, or perhaps even years......but don't expect the machine to board to last indefinitely. Like one with one without liquid damage.

If they don't want to pay for at least one hour to check out the machine......help them pick out a new machine, and charge for data recovery and migration.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes, that's pretty much what I did do eventually.
    Total time spent was close to five hours. In the end I gave it back to him booted up and screen live. For a while it behaved perfectly normally... then the graphics let me down yet again.
    I got a price from an Apple Auth Repair Centre for a new logic board and one from the nearest Apple store. The Apple store said they'd want to replace the track pad and display as well, for which they'd be charging 724! In the end i was agreed that if the fix was just the logic board he'd go for it, but any more than that he'd write it off. There's nothing wrong with the track pad anyway!
    I was paid for some of my time but it was very disappointing to be so close. I don't like to give up on a Mac unless I absolutely have to.