Thread: USB transfer cable ?

Default USB transfer cable ?

Is it recommendable to use a USD transfer cable made by Gigaware to transfer files from MacPro Tower to a MacMini instead of using the ethernet. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disc2 View Post
    Is it recommendable to use a USD transfer cable made by Gigaware to transfer files from MacPro Tower to a MacMini instead of using the ethernet. thanks
    USD = United States Dollar?!?

Why not use Firewire, putting the MacPro in Firewire target disk mode. It's faster than USB.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    USD = United States Dollar?!?

Why not use Firewire, putting the MacPro in Firewire target disk mode. It's faster than USB.
    HAHAHA! Yur right.
    BTW, Eric, how does it work with firewire? Meaning, connect both computers by a Firewire cable? Not sure about that? I think both have power over firewire without something between them. But please explain if you have time. thanks

Firewire is a networkable connection. So you can even use it to set up a LAN.

In this case though, when you boot a Mac into Target Disk Mode by holding the 'T' key, you just turn the Mac into a big Firewire enclosure. It allows you to treat the internal drive as an attached drive on another Mac which eases permissions hoops you have to jump through to modify the files contained therein.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

A short Apple link. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661 You might be needing a FW cable with FW400 on one end and FW800 on the other.