Thread: Lot of Lion Firewire problems

Default Lot of Lion Firewire problems

Thought I would ask everyone's thoughts and capture any experiences.

I am starting to see a lot of Firewire problems since Lion. Many devices either dropping offline, never showing up, bus disappearing from Profiler, really strange formatting problems in Disk Utility and so on. Great big long threads at Apple - but actually been relatively quiet on Apple forums even though a few long threads.

Been working on some new Firewire products for Burly. Bridges that work perfectly in 10.6 are a good bet to be less reliable or not reliable at all in 10.7. Even worse since 10.7.3 was applied. Other bridges will not work or show up at all in Firewire on Lion, but work perfectly attached via USB.

Anyway, would love to hear your various experiences. See if there is something that stands out.

Thanks.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

No issues here, been using FW externals + 10.7 for a few months. Have not read the link yet.....does it seem to be related specific chipsets or firmware versions?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

It has been interesting the breadth of problems. And yet, if it was general to everyone we would hear an outcry beyond the imagination. We hear about external storage from LaCie, from Western Digital, from whomever, then about a capture device. Then something else. Yet there is no pattern. Some are able to get working again with a SMC reset - others with a firmware updater.

I had no issues at all until I started testing some new stuff. And those have been pretty good overall, and then suddenly not. I suspect I may have had a bad cable, but even a replacement cable, SMC reset, booting 32 bit, whatever, hasn't made it go away. In all cases, if I bypass the Firewire bridge and connect the rest of the hardware via SATA it works perfectly.

So just hunting for trouble stories to understand it better.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

(knock on wood)

My IcyDock, 2 Burly bridges and my 2.5" enclosure I got from Rick (not the current model) have all been working perfectly since long before 10.7 and continue to work in 10.7 on 2 different Macs. I have been giving them a workout the last few days what with transferring over to the new Mini. I also have a Unibrain Firewire 800 repeater (hub) in the mix but I don't use any capture devices. Currently running 10.7.3. Also right now I have all firewire devices running throughout the Thunderbolt port, though prior to this week it was all direct FW800 to the iMac

Right at this moment I also have the iMac connected to the FW800 bus using FW target disc mode to make a huge many GB transfer from the 2TB raid in the burly box
    Damien,

I've not jumped into 10.7 yet myself still 10.6.8. I've got no reason not to now and should try it.

I was really just waiting for my Burly so I'd have all of my drives easy for access to backup or get at.

FW - I've only got the IcyDock and new 2 Bay Burly.

first I've heard of problems. and we handle a lot of kit!

Thanks. I had not heard anything either, but when I had problems with several different newer bridges and Lion I figured I better ask. It is much appreciated the feedback. Makes me feel more confident that we aren't heading to a train wreck or alternatively that Apple has to be the source of a fix. (that is always a bad bet as Apple does it their way, always) Looks like the stuff we see having a problem needs a firmware fix.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default FWIW - Lion 10.7.3 is downloading now

I am it the process now. I don't like the not knowing how long this will take.

I've got this little Lion icon in my Dock that says "OS X Lion - Downloading... I'll wait.

A bit later... I do see what looks like a little blue progress bar now. I hope.

I am late posting this by a couple weeks. Figured I should update you all on how this turned out.

Looks like the bridge manufacturer KNEW we had a Lion problem. Took them all of ONE night to send a firmware updater to us - since they are on Taiwan time, this means they got the email in their morning and immediately sent out a fix to us for next day. I am not happy. Cost us a bunch to fix a problem they had to know about. No one writes a firmware update in a couple hours.

Also, the bridge that I am referring to only works attached to a port multiplier board. When we ordered these bridges they listed the same PM board we use in our PMBurlys as compatible. Now, they changed that list to only be a JMicron chipset port multiplier. And since the JM boards are only made in the RAID type, they cost us twice as much per board/enclosure.

You guys know me when it comes to bridge controlled RAID - never liked it. If you break the bridge you break the RAID. The only fix is to replace the bridge and hope you get the same exact firmware on the replacement. The RAID is 0, 1, 3, and 5. Not very fast - none of them are fast over Firewire, so didn't expect a lot. Hate to spend the dough on a RAID bridge when I recommend they get used JBOD.

Oh well, if it was easy, anyone could do it.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

No chance you could return them I suppose....

My smiting schedule is pretty full but I might work in one on them if you need me to.
    Damien,