Thread: Macbook White 2010 wont charge

Default Macbook White 2010 wont charge

Good morning yesterday i upgraded my HD taking every precaution with Static electricity concerns..I installed everything and went to turn on my computer it would not turn on nor charge..In fact the Magsafe charger wont even light up any more..During the night it was faintly flashing green and amber..After some research i decided to do a SMC reset and then a PRAM reset..I got the computer up and running..I installed Coconut Battery software to see my battery it was -1 (negative one) on all the read outs..Since then my battery has run out and i can no longer turn on my computer..
    Any ideas on what has happened?? If i fried the Mother/Logic borad would the computer of restarted several times like it did?? Anyways any assistance would be greatly appreciated..Thanx

Sounds like a coincidence.

Not sure how to determine whether the charger, the battery or the internal circuitry connecting the two would be the problem. At least not without having parts to swap in.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

SMC rest was a good first step. Even if the battery is shot, I would expect the machine would still boot if plugged in. Besides a bad battery, it could be possible that the battery connection is loose and needs to be reseated.

Only other thing I can think of is if you know someone who also has a MBP that can test your charger, or you can try theirs. If not......

You will likely have to get to an Apple store or an authorized Apple repair center. They have some specific testing equipment that will show if it is the battery, charger, or internal board that is at fault.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Cheers..

Firstly, if you are unable to start the Macbook then it is highly unlikely to be anything to do with the battery directly. As long as you have a working charger it will boot the Macbook whether or not you have a battery installed. Makes no difference whether it works or not.
    If the problem is power related then there is really only one possibility that makes sense:
    The Magsafe DC in board has died. That would prevent power getting into the mac and, if the battery has been drained while you've been rebooting, there would be nothing to power the MacBook, even with a working charger. If the battery was still okay and the DC in was working, logic board dead or not I'm 99% sure that you would still get a light on the charger.
    In the older Macbooks there was also a power transfer board that controlled the power from to and from the battery, but that appears to have been done away with as the battery now connects directly to the logic board.
    I don't have a service Manual, unfortunately, for unibody Macs so I can't be any more help than that. I only have a Macbook that a dog peed on that I have here in pieces!

thank you for the info..i will have to take it to the Genius Bar in the next few days..I was wondering also as to how it could boot up at least six times and function normally (when the battery had power) if the Logic board was fried..I am hoping that the Genius Bat will give me the same news..Cheers..

I agree with you about it booting. That's one of the reasons why I think it may be the DC in board. Having said that, without knowing for sure how the power transfer function has been replaced from the original Macbooks in the Unibody versions I can't be certain that the problem is not on the logic board. It may be that there's a component that it now a part of the logic board relating to power that has died. That could explain a booting machine while power was there, but not enabling a charge to be passed through to the battery. In which case it may well still be a logic board replacement needed to fix it. Not good.
    From your visit here, I can only presume that you didn't take up the extended warranty? Otherwise you'd be talking to Apple about fixing it FOC.
    Let us know how you get on with the Genius Bar... not the Bat.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon View Post
    I only have a Macbook that a dog peed on that I have here in pieces!
    LOL! This is extra funny around here because Rick (the proprietor here) well... his dog walked by his MacPro and hiked a leg in salute once. He never liked that dog much after that.
    Damien,

lol, well at least it wouldn't have corroded the logic board in 30 seconds flat unless it peed like a fire hose!!!