Thread: Rest then freezes

Question Rest then freezes

Been having this hang-up for a couple of three weeks.

Not related to any HD .... I thinks
    Unplugged one SATA 750 GB HD and cable.
    Still have the power cord plugged in ....... don't think that matters or no?

Starts-up fine .... opens files .... everything seems working.
    If I let it sit for five minute, no activity, when I move the mouse it freezes.
    Can play a whole movie .... at the end of the movie when the credits roll-by and I go to stop or close that window, it freezes. .

Using the new 1TB HD, but was doing the freeze before the new HD replacement.

Got any ideas?
    thanks, h

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Turn off all energy saver prefs first thing. Even the processor down-clocking if it's a laptop and see if the problem persists
    Damien,

One step is to do an open firmware reset. Don't do this if you have an aftermarket CPU upgrade installed unless you have all the instructions and know it won't florf your firmware.

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. At the '>' cursor type:

reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all
    Hit Return and your G4 will restart again. At this chime hold the Command+Option+P+R keys down until you get another chime then release and allow to restart normally.

That should reset almost everything that can be reset on a G4 motherboard.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Did find in the "energy saver" that I had "put the HD to sleep when possible" was checked .... I unchecked it.
    Did a "open firmware reset".
    We'll see if that cures it.

Does it matter which PCI slot the Sonnet card is in?
    I have it .... starting with the video card, it's directly above it in the first slot.
    Was in the third slot, but had to move cause the SATA cable that I had wasn't long enough.
    If it matters, I'll have to buy a cable, a little longer than 19 in.... need one about 20 ins.

be-back later, h

Talking

Seems like that cured things.
    If I don't add anymore to this thread in a couple of days ............. all is good.

thanks, h