Thread: Help - Drive swap between machines

Default Help - Drive swap between machines

Hey gang... I have a conundrum I was hoping you could help me solve.

I have just resurrected a MacPro1,1. She's up and running...

I've been using a MBPro Silver, LAST iteration before the unibody, for about 20 months now... the MBP has a 250GB drive on board.

The quick and dirty, is I want to just move everything over from the MBP to the 250GB drive on the Mac Pro. I figured I'd just boot the MBP as a target FW drive, and back it up over to the Mac Pro 250GB drive.

Now when I boot the Mac Pro, I'm presuming the system gestalt is askew, because the fans on this Mac Pro are running LOADLY. It used to run quietly.

When I have more than one drive in place... I can NOT see the bootable backed up drive as one of the boot options in Startup Drive preferences.

I am presuming this drive iamge, originally being from a MBP, isn't properly configured or "blessed".

It's been a long while since I did any sweeping in the back room here at MG... so I figured someone can help me recover from the errors of my drive swap ways.

Sure would love to not have to reassemble all of my files and applications and PW's manually

Anyone?

Thanks!

Hey Dave,

First off, you cannot properly run a MacPro off of a MBP operating system. Different stuff. Don't even try because you won't ever fix everything.

What you need is to use Migration Assistant to pull everything that matter from the MBP to the MP tower. Much better way to import everything.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I won't guarentee it, but have had success in this situation reapplying the latest combo update, and having it put back missing pieces (fan control, video and NIC drivers, etc.)

So if 10.6, download and run 10.6.8 Combo. As long as you have the bandwidth, quick and painless to try........if you don't have the installers or there is some other reason you can run Migration Assistant.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Hmmmm....

Thanks guys.

Did a clean install of Snow Leopard, and then used Migration Assistant as Rick suggested.

Everything was great... until I did the update to 10.6.8, now the fans run fast again. Is there a firmware update that addresses this?

Thanks for the help...

possible other wrinkle? RESOLVED...

I have 3 GB of Ram currently installed in this machine...

The top RAM bay has 2 sets of matched pairs of 512MB, and the bottom one has 1 pair of matched 512MB

There is currently a red led lit on the top bay board, for DIMM #2.

Is this telling me there's an issue with the RAM? YES...

I think that light is always on when the computer is on. I have a 1,1 here, but it is slid into a desk where I cannot get to it when running, or I would check it.

I remember that there was a Firmware updater for the 1,1, but I don't recall the details. Apple linky here.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeights View Post
    Everything was great... until I did the update to 10.6.8, now the fans run fast again. Is there a firmware update that addresses this?

I know at least one model of MP needed a software patch after the OS. Check software update again to see what shows. What model is it? 2008?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi guys...

Rick, after swapping the RAM out with a different pair, that LED is no longer lit up.

Nothing else in Update... this iteration of MacPro1,1 is vintage Fall, 2006 I believe. I honestly can't remember what time of year I bought it.

I'll rummage around some more.

What should be the hottest my CPU's are running?

I just remember how whisper quiet this box was back in it's Tiger days... or was it the Tabby days... I can't remember

Did you try the firmware update? It specifically mentions fan speeds.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

SMC reset. Believe on that machine you unplug everything for 30 seconds.

Thanks for the link Rick...

Running that firmware update brought back "this system has no need for update" or something like that...

Unkie Mac, I'll try the SMC reset, and report back...

I'm using fan control to keep the fans down around 1000 rpm.

Anyone know what a reasonable range for CPU temps are on these MP1,1s?