Thread: Quiet Please

Default Quiet Please

I have noticed alot of people on this forum have some serious custom Macs, so I present this question

I use Macs exclusively in my recording studio. We have gotten away from using PowerPC towers because they are too loud in the recording process. Especially when doing vocals !!!!!

I would like to go back to towers as they last longer, run cooler and they can be worked on very easily......

QUESTION: what can be done to make a G5 quiet(er) ? I've even toyed with the idea of putting them in another room but it really isn't too fesible....

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

build an acoustically insulated containment box that takes in and exhausts air from another room
    Damien,

For several years, and I still have all the extensions and KVM switches, I ran our two servers, storage enclosures and UPS inside a closet with a 3 inch hole through the wall for a cable conduit and the monitor, KB and switch on a desk in this room. Hole is still there with a piece of PVC pipe lining it.

Seems to me that is the best way. There are some limitations, but you can usually get 12 or 15 feet away from your computer with DVI. Everything else can be pushed through a hub if the signal strength gets too low. Definitely doable if you have the side room, or can build it. Doesn't have to be very big. Almost like a rack closet.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yeah most pro studios run everything that makes noise in a dedicated "machine room" which can be anything from a ventilated closet to a whole 'nother room.

I don't have that option myself so I opted to improve the airflow in my my tower so it would run cooler, and quieter. Don't know what that would take for a G5.

I looked into isolation boxes, but didn't like anything I saw. Too much bulk, and expense for too little results.

Quote Originally Posted by briardguy View Post

QUESTION: what can be done to make a G5 quiet(er) ? I've even toyed with the idea of putting them in another room but it really isn't too fesible....
    It all depends on what you mean by "it isn't too feasible". If you can do it, then do it because there's no easy way to keep the fans quiet on a G5. Mine is quiet for a G5, but still way too noisy for a recording studio. You have to keep cold air moving through it one way or another, so inconvenience in another room is going to be far more preferable to trying to keep it quiet in the studio. Given that, as Ricks said, you can extend all of the cables easily enough, the only difficulty I can see is having to make holes in walls. If you've got plasterboard (sheetrock) walls then it's easy. If they're 20" stone walls like we have, then good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon View Post
    . If they're 20" stone walls like we have, then good luck to you!
    No doubt!

Getting a little extreme there - dynamite maybe? Doubt you have much trouble with background noise from the next room though. HA.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

No, but putting a 2" hole through the wall takes longer than backing up a 2TB drive on a USB1.1 bus!