Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mac Pro not booting

How long before you get the GTX? Why not just wait for that to arrive? There shouldn't be a problem with that card and Mavericks.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!

Am hoping the card will be with me sometime towards the end of the week. But the power cable that i ordered was from ebay so will likely take longer.

Am sure your right though best to wait and make it as easy as possible.

Have a question about the GTX. Since it'll likely arrive before the cable,I was wondering what people thought about installing without the cable?

I think the slot itself only supplies around 70 watts and the cable something similar, but if i just use it to display the desktop and basic non video apps, I think i'll be well under 70 watts from the slot. I'd wait for the cable before running anything demanding.

Or will the card simply not work without the cable?

Red face

MacLoon:
    I too have Mac Pro 3Ghz, 8 core, early 2008, and this year had the same problem. Sometimes it booted, but then froze; or during boot, the screen would get distorted with lines and spots.

I notice that later you solved your problem with another video card. Interesting, mine was replaced also with the original equipment model, and now it works great.
    marrand

Well to be fair ive not solved it yet...

Ive confirmed that the problem is the video card, in the sense of using another card (ATI 5450) that wont boot MacOS, but will boot Linux and booted the MP with no problems. I was able to use it for a few hours again no problem - hopefully confirming no PSU issues.

Ive also ordered a GTX 650 Ti, which is apparently supported in Mavericks but without the boot screen. I think i might still have a problem in that i'll need to boot it on Snow Leopard and upgrade to Mavericks all whilst remoting in from a Macbook.

Suspect I might need to borrow a Mavericks laptop from someone, but havent really got my head around it!

well this seems to suggest some are having issues with headless upgrades and others not

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...tml#post264933

i gave up messing around trying to upgrade without a supported video card.

borrowed one from a friend for the weekend and now upgraded and running on mavericks.

still no power problems so have a good feeling that the psu is good and it was just the original 2600 video card messing the system up

Always good to hear problems getting resolved.
    The opposite of what you automatically assume to be the truth is the answer you're looking for!