Thread: Burly Mount/Dismount Issues

Default Burly Mount/Dismount Issues

I have a Burly 4 bay, purchased back in 2008, along with a PCI-e installed in my Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008). Specifics on both are:

LYCeSATA-2EMAC - eSATA II- 3Gbps 2 Ext. Port PCI-e Host
    MGBurly4PM-3T - Burly 4 Bay SATA Hot Swap PM 3TB

Just started having issues this weekend with the mount/dismount. Only 2 of the 4 bays showing mounted on desktop. However, Finder cannot access either, just the spinning beach ball. I have to power down the Burley for Finder to work again. Surely not all 4 drives are bad at once? Could the port multiplier card be bad? How do I check it? The PCI-e card is working fine I think as it talks to another exhdd attached in port 2.

FYI, my Siliconimage driver is at version 1.2.5. All had been working fine until yesterday. I took 1 of the unmounted hdds and placed it in my exhdd attached to port 2 (PCI-e card) and it worked fine.

Any help/suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Have you tried switching the cable from the good enclosure to the PM enclosure to test whether you have a bad cable or possibly just a cable that needs reseated?
    Damien,

I've checked seating of the cable by disconnecting and re-connecting. The result is still the same mount issues. Cable appears robust and no sharp bends, kinks, etc. At first, drives would appear on desktop but Finder couldn't open. Now only 2 of the 4 drives appear on desktop but still Finder cannot open.

Thanks for suggestion though.

I've also tried reseating the 4 drive enclosures. All hdds are Seagate. Checked 1 hdd, that failed to mount, using Drive Genius and it checked good on scan.

I would use driver version 1.2.6, this one is from Sonnet but will work perfectly.

Next, doesn't matter what the Finder sees, only what Disk Utility sees and can do. Have you tried repairing the volumes? What does DIsk Utility say about the volumes? Doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick, I'll check that out tomorrow and let you know how it goes. One test I'd planned to do is remove all hard drives from the Burly and use a known good drive to determine if each bay can be mounted individually.

Too many college football games tweaking my time tonight.

Back again, following more testing.........

Took all 4 HDDs out of the Burly case and took a known good HDD and inserted one bay at a time beginning at the lowest position (my bay #1). In Bay1, the HDD mounted and dismounted fine. Same for Bays3 and 4. However, in Bay2 something unusual occurred. The HDD mounted OK but would not dismount when ejected in Finder. The following appeared on desktop:

"The disk wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it."

I had to use the Force Eject button on the message screen. Don't know of any programs that would have been using the disk as this did not occur in either of the other bay slots.

I've not attempted to update the driver you sent me Rick - yet.

You guys experienced anything like this before where a single bay gives problems?

More...........

Placing HDDs back into the Burly bays. Bays 3 and 4 mount on desktop and Finder fine. Bay 1 does not show mounted on either desktop or Finder. However, it shows up greyed out on Disk Utility. Run verify on DU and it says disk is fine. Even run repair and it says it appears to be OK. It still does not show up in either desktop or Finder.

What gives with this? Even let DU verify bays 3 and 4 for kicks and after all checked good the drives reappeared on desktop and FInder. Not so for the HDD in bay 1.

not worth testing unless you run the right driver.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin