Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using the Migration Assistant

Migration assistant on the other hand, has never worked for me. It will NEVER see a firewire drive... ever.
    Agreed and thats BS. Made my last job a PIA. Why won't it? Why does it want a "booted" drive.

Since I have a butt load of storage space I'll keep a TM partition and my SuperDuper.

Damien, I'd suggest that you are more likely to have a system issue than a "Migration Assistant" issue.
    Have you actually allowed MA to complete a transfer? Frequently it will start off with a misleading timescale... in exactly the same way that it will tell you for the last half hour that there is less than a minute remaining!
    I've never had a problem with firewire or USB drives and MA, the only one that gets picky is when using the network so I don't bother, I just take the drive out if it's a macbook - MB Air presents different problems - with no Firewire, otherwise target mode works every time.

The second biggest problem with time machine is that it doesn't create a bootable drive. You've got to reinstall to use it... not good if you don't have the available time.

Tongue

Hello Looney... if you want to run with the big dogs,
    get off the porch.
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

I take it that you took offence at my post then.
    I'm not the one with the problem, so not quite sure why you think I need to 'run with the big dogs'.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Agreed and thats BS. Made my last job a PIA. Why won't it? Why does it want a "booted" drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLoon;
    The second biggest problem with time machine is that it doesn't create a bootable drive.
    That's a big 'Catch-22' IMHO. If you use the Apple software Time Machine to back up to a FW drive then you can't use the Apple Software Migration Assistant to get any info from that drive because TM doesn't create a bootable drive

I am aware that computers have a distorted sense of time when installing etc but even if it was off by 99% (100 hours = 1 hours) I could still do it faster manually. Which I did. From my well running iMac to my brand new Core I7 Mac Mini... with accompanying Thunderbolt display* YAY ME!

*yeah... it's tax time again. My favorite time of year
    Damien,

But you can restore from a TM drive, you just don't use MA to do it.
    It's not that it's on a firewire or USB drive, it's just not normally set up, without a lot of pre-configuring, to be bootable and THAT's why TM won't work with MA.

As I said, there's no problem with Firewire drives and MA.

Don't know whether this works for uploading images, maybe someone can help me out here?

No. It didn't work.
    The image is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/7624498...2971/lightbox/

That's a screenshot of MA connecting to my portable FW drive that's set up to troubleshoot PPC macs. No problem at all importing the users.

Usually you can upload an image and it will display in the bottom of the page.

Alternatively, you can use the bulletin board code (there's an insert image tag above the text box when typing your reply) or HTML to display your image.

Your picture would show up but the link you posted shows a null destination.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I with the Loon here. MA gets used every day at work, and is solid 99.soemthing percent of the time. Really. Scouts honor.

Even the new MA in 10.7 that migrates from a Win box is very good, most of the time.

Oh, and about about backups......

I feel like a dope, but somehow I missed when CCC added the ability to automatically prune old data. This is a huge improvement. Always loved it for bootable clones, and syncing drives, but never used it for a regular, repeating scheduled BU tool, as eventually the destination would fill, and then the user has to decide what to trash to make more room.

Stilling Ricks line here: If it isn't automated, it isn't a backup. So anyway, by this standard CCC is now a real backup too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Even the new MA in 10.7 that migrates from a Win box is very good, most of the time.
    Ooh! Now that's nice... didn't know that!
    Migrations from PCs were always a pain so that should make life easier, not that I do that many.

Back to the original debate though... MA works, the problem is elsewhere... now where are those big dogs? Time to put them back on the lead!

Usually you can upload an image and it will display in the bottom of the page.

Alternatively, you can use the bulletin board code (there's an insert image tag above the text box when typing your reply) or HTML to display your image.
    Odd that, because when I used the BB code from flikr it didn't work. It just displayed the code. When I grabbed the url for the image, that didn't display as an image either, maybe because it was the url for the page rather than the image... which was why I used the .../lightbox url instead... and that didn't work either!
    Aahhhh... just found the "attachments" ... let's see if that works.
    Bingo!

Question My question would be...

Why when I have a FW drive with only /users and some other data on it I can't get the FW disk icon.

When I have a FW Drive with a system OS and /users I do get a FW Icon to pull various data over.

For exactly the same reason that you can't just manually copy a User across and have your Mac recognise it as a user.
    If there's no OS there to validate it, MA doesn't recognise it as a User, it just regards it as another folder.
    If you try to import a Snow Leopard user into Leopard then you'll find that doesn't work either. It will only import like for like or from a lower OS.
    Even 10.6 from 10.6.8 won't work.

For exactly the same reason that you can't just manually copy a User across and have your Mac recognise it as a user.
    If there's no OS there to validate it, MA doesn't recognise it as a User, it just regards it as another folder.
    If you try to import a Snow Leopard user into Leopard then you'll find that doesn't work either. It will only import like for like or from a lower OS.
    Even 10.6 from 10.6.8 won't work.
    I understand that. But it's stupid that you can't pull a good /users off a FW Drive.

Hold the phone!
    Sorry, slightly misleading info there.
    If you are using MA when installing an OS it won't bring users in from another later version. You CAN, however, use it afterwards to bring that same user in. What it won't do is bring everything in as it won't copy across anything relating to the OS.
    Hope this clarifies it for you.

If using MA after an OS install you can bring users across from ANY disk. Even a user on a SL install on a USB disk (GUID) will copy on to a Leopard install on a G5 (Apple partition).

I understand that. But it's stupid that you can't pull a good /users off a FW Drive.
    Not really. When the Users folders are set up they are given attributes by the OS that normal folders are not, hence the icon is different. If you simply drag a User folder from one Mac to another it won't be recognised by the system either, even if you put it in the Users folder.
    Maybe one of the other guys here can tell you (and me) what exactly it is that the OS does to a folder that makes it a user. Must be something invisible because it doesn't show up in Get Info, other than giving it a different icon

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

In my case I almost never want to restore a whole system from a TM backup. What I want is to migrate a user and associated data
    Damien,