Thread: Lets talk icey box

Question Lets talk icey box

I need one .... where and how much?
    Needed for my G4s.
    thanks, h

Try looking here. I don't believe Rick carries the IcyDock any longer.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

what interface are you looking for? 3.5" or 2.5" drives? A quick glance at Icydock's website and it looks like they have USB 2, 3, FW400 and SATA. I didn't see any FW800 though but i'm in a rush and couldn't search very long. I have a USB 2/FW800 icydock, mine uses rails though... most of the newer design seems to be completely trayless.
    Damien,

All that is left of past eSATA IcyDocks is the one in the test lab. It got put on a shelf and ignored after testing. It is also the last model that was available and is USB2 + eSATA. IcyDock/Cremax has stopped making the Firewire 800 version that I liked so much.

We have other USB + eSATA boxes as well. That one in in stock and is a little trayless box for 3.5 drives. Laurie uses one for her video editing work. Play rather, since she does it for personal video tasks.

I have so many pages to build that these USB boxes fell low on the list - especially since I don't really much like USB for attaching a hard drive on a Mac. We list these on the Burly Storage site since that caters more to the PC user that has to count on USB.

We are about ready to release a new quad interface bridge for the Burlylite and 2 Bay Firewire. These will have Firewire 800, FW400, USB2 and eSATA. USing Oxford chipset its only quirk is that in eSATA it can only see/use a single volume - which means RAID of some sort for the 2 bay over eSATA is only option. Great for the single bay Burly. And full range of features for the 2 bay over Firewire or USB, user can set the switch to JBOD or RAID0 or RAID1. But on eSATA has to be in RAID, no JBOD for 2 drives.

We also have a really nice little 3.5 inch single drive box that is not hotswap - which means you have to take a screwdriver to it to swap the drive. We found this manufacturer when looking for a 2.5 inch portable enclosure that could install the taller 12.5 MM 1TB laptop drives. This is its bigger brother and also has a quad interface.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Found myself looking at the .... MacGurus Burly-Lite
    Single Drive Firewire USB Enclosure with a 2TB HD.

Is this .... "We are about ready to release a new quad interface bridge for the Burlylite and 2 Bay Firewire. These will have Firewire 800, FW400, USB2 and eSATA. USing Oxford chipset its only quirk is that in eSATA it can only see/use a single volume - which means RAID of some sort for the 2 bay over eSATA is only option. Great for the single bay Burly. And full range of features for the 2 bay over Firewire or USB, user can set the switch to JBOD or RAID0 or RAID1. But on eSATA has to be in RAID, no JBOD for 2 drives."

Is this ready for sale or is this .... MacGurus Burly-Lite Single Drive Firewire USB or what??

Could easily confuse things if left to my imagination.
    Better "reel me in" for I get too far out there.

h

Just finished testing the bridge. Now have to order a batch made up. Usually takes 4 or 5 weeks for that. They have to program them for us as well. And these days there is no such thing as 'off the shelf' for manufacturing. They get an order, they build them. There are usually none in stock at manufacturers.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Seen as I don't really know what I'm talking about.
    Is this a good way that I'll be able to use this with an Intell mac in the future and if so .... then I'll be happy to wait.

Hows that sound?

h

I guess only question I would have is this going to be a MacPro or not. If only on a MacPro I would skip Firewire and go eSATA.

However, if possible it will be other model Mac, like an iMac or a Mini - or multiple computers, then the BurlyLite with the new bridge gives everything. Fastest Firewire, eSATA if needed, bootable and any drive capacity. And the trayless model is SUPER quiet. No internal fan. Besides how it makes it really fast to slip a drive in.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Question

How is it that the "trayless model is SUPER quiet" gets by .... by not having a fan and the others do?

Right now just three G4s and Powerbook.
    In the near future .... Mac Book and/or Mini.

I Think I'd be smart in choosing to have .... ALL.... the ports.

I guess ...........!

h

We found a trayless bay module that the drive is mostly open to the airflow inside and has no internal fan. The other drives bays all enclose the drive entirely inside an internal box and they have to have an additional internal fan.

While the internal fans are pretty quiet, they would be a lot quieter if the BurlyLite wasn't so cramped inside.With the cover off the enclosure and the fans running it is near silent. Then you put the cover on and the airflow noise goes up a notch. Either the two fans are significantly different airflow or the two together are a lot more airflow. Either way, the net result while a bit more cooling is also a little more airflow noise. With only the case fan and no internal fan you have to hold your head down next to it - correction, I have to hold my head down next to it to hear it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Heres my thinking .... remember the "old dog" MDDs fan will more than likely drown any noise from the BurlyLite.

Wanting the most stable!

I think I would be better off with cooling.... what are your views?

Still on the fence as far as what size HD .... doesn't have anything to do with which BuylyLite or tray ... correct?

Actually .... I'm at a complete loss with this stuff ..... I'm still pretty much in "the dark".

Too many choices .......... which way to go ......... left, right, forward, backwards, up, down ........ CHIIIIIIIIT !
    h

Didn't say it didn't have any cooling. It does, here's the picture of the back of the BurlyLite

Big ol fan that does perfectly.

Difference is only that the trayless bay used in the BurlyLite does not have an ADDITIONAL internal fan. Since that trayless bay leaves the drive open to airflow we maintain temperatures without an internal fan.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Well, now that we've cleared that up, I'll go with a Trayless.

So, will have ALL the ports needed for any combination?
    YES / NO?

h

Question

Where are we on the BurlyLite?
    Are we just waiting for the shipment or what?

h

We have the older FW800+USB2 Bridges in stock. We just completed testing with a new FW800+USB2+eSATA bridge that uses a JMicron chipset and has eSATA, USB and Firewire. We have to place an order for these to be manufactured. Once ordered it typically takes 4 or 5 weeks to get. Problem is, all of 'over there' is on holiday. It is chinese new year. Probably get an answer to our order email next week.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Ok, get back to me after you hear something.
    later, h

Just went online with the BurlyLite with an Oxford 934 bridge that can take 3 or 4 TB drives. We are not going to have the other bridge in stock for a couple more weeks, the one with the eSATA connector. Still in manufacturing. So we brought in some Oxford 934 bridges to fill the gap in time.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Question

So, what does this give me ... please elaborate a little more.

Everything is the same except no eSATA on this bridge.

Speeds, compatibility and ability to use monster any size drive is same for either. We have shipped quite a number of 934 powered enclosures the last year, our regular manufacturer stopped making them. Since December we have been testing - so many different things and so many that don't work! The 934 is a good choice, costs identical to the one in manufacturing.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I'll probable wait till the others come in, then get serious.

h