Thread: I need a rough idea....

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default I need a rough idea....

of how my 3.06ghz Core2 Duo compares to the 2.7ghz Dual core 'core i7'

I am thinking of upgrading to a high end Mac Mini and a third party 27" monitor. Currently have a 24" iMac 3.06ghz Core2 Duo

A couple other questions

I can connect one screen to the thunderbolt port using my miniDisplay>DVI adapter and I can connect a second screen to the HDMI port using the (provided) HDMI>DVI adapter, correct? I want to use the screens in extended desktop mode. I am pretty sure I can do this.

Also the Mini has an option to add a second hard drive internally. The option is for an SSD drive. My question is can the Mini keep 2 disc drives cool in there? SSD's are outside my price range and I already have a seagate 500gig 2.5" I would like to add in there if possible.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or links to appropriate reading?

Thanks
    Damien,

I had the same model of iMac and for my midlife crisis upgraded to a 3.4 Quad core w/SSD, refurbished of course. I don't think that the upgrade you are thinking about will give you that much added speed. Some correct me if I'm wrong, please. But the speed test at MacWorld shows a very mild increase in speed. I don't if you could add another hard drive or not. But I would think that instead of purchasing a new monitor and mini you could get a refurbished May 2011 27" iMac quad core i5 for about the same investment and have a faster setup. Take that hard drive and put it in one of Gurus FW 800 cases and you have a great backup drive.

I'm setting up the old G4 in a closet with a MacIIci. They will share The 20" Viewsonic monitor. 20" is kinda small anymore. Just glad I don't have to still use the Mac Plus 9" screen anymore.

All I can add is I searched a bunch of info mac mini and iMac and the i5, i7's just blew any Core 2 Duo away.

I think you'd want the i7 and your fast drive setup.

Better than rough numbers.......benchmarks:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/

Scroll down and find the models to compare computing oomph. CPU is good, but keep in mind only 2 RAM slots, basic video only, compared to decent cards in iMacs. How about a 21" plus an external monitor?

And yes, dual video out works as you descibed.

Dual HDs seem just fine in the handful of Mini servers I have set up. No issues that I know of.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just the kind of reading I was looking for Unc, Thanks.

The upgraded mini I would be getting has the AMD Radeon HD 6630M which I know nothing about. Got more research to do there...

I don't really want another iMac because in my new computer desk they get hot and then I have to run the fans higher than I like to. I don't do anything anymore to justify a tower and can't afford one anyway. The Mini will solve the cooling issue and will solve the 'My mac is 4 years old issue' that I seem to get around tax time every year
    Damien,

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I can connect one screen to the thunderbolt port using my miniDisplay>DVI adapter and I can connect a second screen to the HDMI port using the (provided) HDMI>DVI adapter, correct? I want to use the screens in extended desktop mode. I am pretty sure I can do this.
    I have the 2011 mini server quad-core 2.0Ghz i7 with the lowly Intel 3000 GPU. Just for you dude, I finally decided to try hooking up two monitors for an extended desktop.

It works for me, although I did a straight miniDisplay monitor into the thunderbolt port, and used the provided HMDI>DVI adapter into a DVI monitor.

I have a miniDisplay>DVI adapter which works on the mini -- I just tested it in a single DVI monitor setup. Sorry, I couldn't test the dual DVI monitor setup for you since I couldn't find another DVI cable. :P

Also the Mini has an option to add a second hard drive internally. The option is for an SSD drive. My question is can the Mini keep 2 disc drives cool in there? SSD's are outside my price range and I already have a seagate 500gig 2.5" I would like to add in there if possible.
    Thanks
    mini Server has two HDs standard, along with the quad core CPU; the reasons I went that route. I got a good discount on the standard config. withm two 500GB HDs, so I got the server (rather than a regular mini) and I didn't go the BTO route. Discounts on in-production Macs are rare where I am.

From what I can tell, things stay rather cool -- but I never bothered to check with one of those monitor apps. The fans have only upped their RPMs when I was doing something CPU intensive, e.g. batch converting RAW to TIFF and JPEG.

I don't really want another iMac because in my new computer desk they get hot and then I have to run the fans higher than I like to.
    Uhh, I didn't want an iMac because then I wouldn't know what to do with my 23" HD Apple Cinema Display -- there wouldn't be enough room on the desk for it and an iMac.

Hope that helps.

Eric you are a gentleman and a scholar!

Here is my new computer desk. As you can see the iMac is pretty much enclosed on 5 sides. So cooling is an issue. (yeah I just wanted to show off my desk)

I have yet to learn very much about the graphics card in the mini, the AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB of GDDR5 memory. Though I admit I haven't tried very hard with the research... My current card is the GeForce 8800GS with 512mb
    Damien,

Damien's cooling problem is more because of proximity to the fires of hades. When ya hang with the dark angels you don't have to work hard to toast your marshmallows.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Damien's cooling problem is more because of proximity to the fires of hades. When ya hang with the dark angels you don't have to work hard to toast your marshmallows.
    Yummy marshmallows!
    Damien,