Thread: i Mac G5 repair gone bad, help

Default i Mac G5 repair gone bad, help

imac G5 repair gone bad,( I sent to repair ctr and replaced the mother board due to bad capacitors) when I got it back I installed the old drive and it wouldn't read it. I tried open firm reset, installed another hard drive it didn't work, it won't read a cd, and it wont read an external drive(firewire) any help would be apprieciated. Mike

I think I would try putting the original boot drive in and connecting to a good computer and starting up in Target Disk Mode by holding the 'T' key. That way you can see if the computer is powering properly and can mount drives at all. Hook it to another Mac using a Firewire cable and your iMac should show up like it is a Firewire drive on the other Mac.

Next, try a boot to an install OS DVD. Hold the Option key during startup to see if you can select the DVD and or hard drive as bootable devices.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

....If that does not work, could be a gonner. Who did the repair? If they are reputable, they should stand behind it, or at least refund your $.

Assuming you cannot get it to boot: I would consider simply looking for a different iMac. G5 models are somewhere around $100 used in running condition. Usually cheaper to find a cream puff than repair.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Mike was having trouble getting ahold of the repair guy. Last time I tried I got him on iChat at davidghp

Try him there.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin